About This Chapter
MTLE Earth & Space Science: Climate - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to refresh your memory on different climate topics so that you'll be ready to be asked about them when you're taking the MTLE Earth & Space Science test. The videos include the following information:
- The definition of climate
- Natural factors that impact regional climate
- Different ocean circulation patterns
- The main climates on Earth
- The major greenhouse gases and their part in climate change
- Causes and effects of global warming
- Strategies for mitigating global climate change
These video lessons can be completed from your computer or handheld device. The video tags will help you get back to any segments you want to see again.
1. What is a Climate? - Definition & Examples
Learn what climate is, and how not to confuse it with weather. Once you understand what a climate is, figure out what type of climate you live in by going over examples of Earth's different climate types.
2. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
3. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
4. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
5. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
6. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
7. Global Climate Change: Effects and Mitigation Strategies
In this video lesson, you will learn about the potential effects of global climate change. You will also learn how some are working to better understand climate change in order to slow the rate of temperature increase on Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Earth & Space Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Basics of Geology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Careers & Applications
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Math & Technology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: History of Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Spheres & Structure
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Oceans & Coastal Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater Systems
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Weather & Storms
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Energy Forms & Resources
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Humans & the Environment
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Astronomical Bodies & Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Solar System
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Sun, Moon & Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science Flashcards