About This Chapter
MTLE Earth & Space Science: Energy Forms & Resources - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors have assembled this chapter so that you can brush up on different energy resources and forms. The lessons will help you answer any MTLE Earth & Space Science test questions about the following:
- What energy is and its significance in nature
- Definitions for reserves and resources
- Advantages and disadvantages of fossil fuels
- Radiant, thermal and chemical energy
- Pros and cons of renewable energy resources
- How renewable and non-renewable energy resources differ
- Uses, advantages and disadvantages of solar power
- Nuclear fusion and fission
- The uses of hydroelectric energy
- Pros and cons of tidal energy
These lessons have a short average duration of only about eight minutes. After finishing a lesson, you can take a practice quiz or just go on to the next lesson. You'll find helpful tools featured in the lessons, such as the Timeline, which makes it easy to find specific material covered in a video lesson. You can ask instructors any questions that you have using either the lessons' Teacher tabs or your Dashboard.
1. What is Energy? - Definition and Significance in Nature
This lesson describes the nature of energy and how it is transferred from one source into another. Additionally, it will describe the significance of energy in natural systems.
2. Resources and Reserves: Definitions & Examples
You might hear a lot about reserves and resources on Earth, but what exactly is the difference between the two? In this video lesson, you will learn about each, as well as how they represent different things that are quite related to each other.
3. What Are Fossil Fuels? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Fossil fuels are sources of energy that have developed within the earth over millions of years. Because fossil fuels - oil, natural gas, and coal - take so long to form, they are considered nonrenewable. Learn more about these fuels, including the pros and cons of using them.
4. What is Chemical Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson describes chemical energy as a type of potential energy stored in chemicals, such as sugar and gasoline. The lesson discusses how energy is transferred from solar energy to chemical energy by plants and how gasoline is a source of chemical energy used to move cars.
5. What is Radiant Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and describes radiant energy in its different forms. The different types of electromagnetic waves created by radiant energy are identified and described as well. This includes X-rays, microwaves, and radio waves, to mention a few.
6. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
7. Wind as a Renewable Energy Resource: Advantages & Disadvantages
Wind power is a renewable energy resource, but there are both pros and cons to this type of energy. In this video lesson, you will learn about wind power as well as some of the benefits and drawbacks of using it as a global energy source.
8. Renewable & Non-Renewable Resources: Definition & Differences
We use a variety of Earth's resources, but not all of them will be around forever. This lesson explains the difference between resources that can be regenerated for our use and those that are gone after they are used once.
9. What is Solar Power? - Uses, Advantages & Disadvantages
The sun provides us with a constant energy source. In this video lesson, you'll learn how we can harness solar power from the sun. We'll also take a look at the pros and cons of this renewable energy resource.
10. What is Nuclear Energy? - Definition & Examples
You've probably heard of nuclear energy. But what is it? And what is the difference between fusion and fission? This lesson will answer your questions about this exciting form of energy that involves atoms and their nuclei.
11. Hydroelectric Energy: Definition, Uses, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this video lesson you will understand how water can be used to generate electrical energy. You will also identify some benefits and drawbacks of using this type of renewable resource for energy production.
12. Tidal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
The tides move a massive amount of water, and the energy from this moving water, known as tidal energy, can be captured and converted into electricity. Learn how tidal energy works and the advantages and disadvantages of this energy source.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Earth & Space Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Basics of Geology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Careers & Applications
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Math & Technology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: History of Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Spheres & Structure
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Oceans & Coastal Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater Systems
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Weather & Storms
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Climate
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Humans & the Environment
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Astronomical Bodies & Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Solar System
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Sun, Moon & Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science Flashcards