About This Chapter
MTLE Earth & Space Science: History of Earth - Chapter Summary
This chapter will act as your guide to the history of the Earth. Each lesson will outline information you will need to know for the MTLE Earth & Space Science test. These lessons cover topics including:
- Theories about the earth's formation
- Characteristics of key eras and eons
- A timeline of life on Earth
- Human opportunities after the end of the last ice age
- The earth's atmosphere
- The Proterozoic, Mesozoic and Paleozoic eras
- Fossil evidence
Throughout this chapter, instructors will share the most crucial information about the Earth's history in order for you to perform well on the MTLE Earth & Space Science test. After you've reviewed the information in each of these lessons, you can take a quiz to test yourself in preparation for the real exam.
1. Formation of the Earth: Theories
In this lesson, the theory of how the planet Earth formed will be discussed. This includes looking at how it differentiated into three layers, how it formed its atmosphere, water, and land features, and how it continues to evolve today.
2. The History of Life on Earth: Timeline and Characteristics of Major Eras
The Earth is over 4 billion years old. Ever wonder what happened during certain time periods in that large amount of time? We will look at the major eons and eras of Earth's history along with important characteristics of each.
3. The Last Ice Age: Thawing Ice and New Human Opportunities
What is an ice age? How did the latest period of glaciation form our species? How has the abundance of this latest period of interglaciation changed our behavior? Watch this lesson to find out.
4. The Atmosphere on Earth
This lesson describes the evolution of the Earth's atmosphere, from its ancient past to the present day to how it's being changed by humans today. You'll learn about how outgassing, photosynthesis, and oceans all played a role in its formation, what air is composed of, and the real effect of human pollution on our changing atmosphere.
5. Proterozoic Eon: Timeline & Facts
The Proterozoic eon was the last of the three eons during the Precambrian supereon. This lesson will cover the unique events that shaped this time period and will also allow you to take a quiz.
6. The Mesozoic Era: Facts, Events & Timeline
The Mesozoic Era began 252 million years ago with the largest mass extinction in Earth's history and ended 66 million years ago with the asteroid that killed off the dinosaurs. This lesson will cover the important events that occurred during the Mesozoic Era.
7. The Paleozoic Era: Definition, Timeline & Events
The Paleozoic Era spans almost 200 million years from 542 to 251 million years ago. It is defined by great explosion of life at the beginning of the era and ends with the largest mass extinction in the history of our planet. This lesson will cover the important features of Paleozoic Era.
8. Fossil Evidence for Biological Diversity, Speciation, & Mass Extinction
One of the best sources of evidence we have for evolution is the fossil record. Fossils provide a wealth of information on how species change over time and for exciting events like mass extinctions and new species formation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Earth & Space Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Basics of Geology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Careers & Applications
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Math & Technology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Spheres & Structure
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Oceans & Coastal Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater Systems
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Weather & Storms
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Climate
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Energy Forms & Resources
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Humans & the Environment
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Astronomical Bodies & Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Solar System
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Sun, Moon & Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science Flashcards