About This Chapter
MTEL Earth & Space Science: Weather & Storms - Chapter Summary
Dive right into your weather and storm studies for the MTLE Earth & Space Science exam with this chapter that includes lessons about the floods, tornadoes, thunderstorms, and more. After watching the video lessons, you can practice answering questions that are like the ones you will find on the exam by taking the short quizzes. This chapter also includes lessons on:
- Distinctions between weather and climate
- Factors that affect wind
- Variables that determine weather
- Circulation patterns of the atmosphere
- Air masses and weather fronts
- Cyclones and hurricanes
- El Nino and La Nina
You can review specific parts of the videos by using the embedded links. If you need to study on the go, print out the worksheets along with the answers. Let our instructors know if you have any questions about the chapter.
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
3. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
4. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
5. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
6. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
7. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
8. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
9. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
10. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
11. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
12. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Earth & Space Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Basics of Geology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Careers & Applications
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Math & Technology
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: History of Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Spheres & Structure
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Minerals & Rocks
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Plate Tectonics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Measuring Geological Time
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Processes of Earth's Surface
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Hydrosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Oceans & Coastal Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Freshwater Systems
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Earth's Atmosphere
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Climate
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Energy Forms & Resources
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Humans & the Environment
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Universe
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Astronomical Bodies & Processes
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Solar System
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: The Sun, Moon & Earth
- MTLE Earth & Space Science Flashcards