About This Chapter
MTLE Elementary Education: Geometry & Measurement - Chapter Summary
Reacquaint yourself with some of the major concepts in the field of mathematics, including basic geometric shapes, three-dimensional shapes, and standard units of measurement. Get yourself geared up for answering mathematics questions on the MTLE Elementary Education Subtest 2 by reviewing the following topics:
- Angles, points, and lines
- Postulates and properties of figures
- Transformations and symmetry
- The Pythagorean Theorem
- Indirect measurements and unit conversion formulas
- Tools for geometry
If you have a background in mathematics, you may not need to review everything in this chapter, and instead you can pick and choose topics based on your needs. If mathematics is not your strong suit, start at the first lesson in this chapter and work your way through one video at a time. Remember you can pause the video lessons, re-watch them, or skip around to find specific information. You can also send questions to our instructors if you need further explanations. As your test date for the MTLE Elementary Education Subtest 2 gets closer, practice with our multiple-choice questions on the quizzes or the chapter exam.
MTLE Elementary Education: Geometry & Measurement Chapter Objectives
Elementary school educators in Minnesota have to go through a licensure process, which may require taking a basic skills test, including the MTLE Elementary Education Subtest 2. Individuals will have one hour to answer an array of 50 multiple-choice questions, three-quarters of which cover mathematics, and the remaining 25% will address the fine arts and fitness.
On the mathematics side of this test, educators must prove their mastery over six objectives. Two of the objectives deal directly with understanding geometric figures as well as the steps for taking accurate measurements. Thus, possessing a thorough knowledge of the materials discussed in this chapter will prepare you for one third of the mathematics portion of this test.
1. Overview of the Basic Shapes in Geometry
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic shapes in geometry. These are the shapes that you will come across most often in math. Watch as triangles, rectangles, pentagons, and circles come by.
2. Overview of Three-dimensional Shapes in Geometry
We are surrounded by three-dimensional shapes. Watch this video lesson to see what some three-dimensional shapes look like, such as a cube, a sphere, a brick, and a cylinder.
3. Points, Lines & Angles in Geometry
After watching this video lesson, you should understand the basic terms that form the foundation of geometry. Learn what a point is, what a line is, what an angle is, and learn about a special type of angle called a right angle.
4. Properties and Postulates of Geometric Figures
In geometry, there are some basic postulates that are relied upon as the basis for other theorems. Watch this video to learn about the postulates that deal with points, lines, and planes.
5. What is Symmetry in Math? - Definition & Concept
Symmetry occurs in many areas of mathematics. This lesson explains symmetry in math and explores the three basic types of symmetry: rotational symmetry, reflection symmetry, and point symmetry.
6. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
7. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
8. Indirect Measurement: Definition & Examples
Learn what indirect measurement is and see what is involved when we use this measuring tool. Become comfortable applying indirect measurement through explanation and examples.
9. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
10. Common Unit Conversions
Watch this video lesson, and you will become a pro at converting between inches and feet, between feet and yards, and between quarts and gallons. Learn the special numbers involved in each conversion.
11. Geometric Tools: Definition, Importance & Uses
Did you know that you can draw almost any geometric shape with just a few tools? Learn what these tools are in this lesson and how important and useful they are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Elementary Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literacy Development
- MTLE Elementary Education: Print Awareness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTLE Elementary Education: Vocabulary
- MTLE Elementary Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literature & Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Language Conventions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Writing Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Communication Skills & Media Literacy
- MTLE Elementary Education: Assessments
- MTLE Elementary Education: Instructional Strategies
- MTLE Elementary Education: Numbers & Operation
- MTLE Elementary Education: Patterns & Functions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Data Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Processes
- MTLE Elementary Education: Health & Fitness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Fine Arts
- MTLE Elementary Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Life Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Social Studies Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Early Civilizations
- MTLE Elementary Education: Settling North America
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Revolutionary War
- MTLE Elementary Education: Westward Expansion
- MTLE Elementary Education: The American Civil War
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Industrial Revolution
- MTLE Elementary Education: 20th Century to Today
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geography
- MTLE Elementary Education: Citizenship & Government
- MTLE Elementary Education: Economics
- MTLE Elementary Education Flashcards