About This Chapter
MTLE Elementary Education: Health and Fitness - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers various key topics of consideration when teaching health and fitness courses, with video lessons providing an effective and efficient review of the following topics:
- Health behaviors and promotion
- Defining health and wellness
- Making wise nutritional choices
- Risk behavior and methods of behavioral change
- Defining physical development
- Fine and gross motor skills in children
- The benefits of regular physical activity
- Components of exercise programs
Depending on your learning preference, you can choose to learn the material through a video or transcript of each lesson, or both. You can use the timeline feature underneath the video to jump to specific key points within the lesson, and/or look for highlighted terms within the transcript for a quick guide of the main topics.
MTLE Elementary Education: Health and Fitness - Chapter Objectives
The MTLE Elementary Education exam includes three subtests, each of which includes 50 multiple-choice questions that you'll have an hour to complete. You'll have to pass all three subtests to attain your Minnesota teacher's license in the field. This chapter applies to the second subtest, which contains two sections, one centered on mathematics and the other on health, fitness and fine arts. You can use the lessons in this chapter to prepare for the questions pertaining to fundamental health and physical education concepts that are included in the latter subarea, which as a whole will make up 25% of your score on the second subtest.
1. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
2. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
3. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
4. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
This lesson will discuss the short and long-term consequences of several different risk behaviors. We'll also go into some simple but effective strategies you can use to help avoid or stop these behaviors.
5. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
6. What Are Fine Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Think of toddlers at a daycare, or the young actors in the movie 'The Kindergarten Cop.' What comes to mind? Is it small children doing arts and crafts or possibly running around with scissors? These are examples of fine motor skills, which children should develop around this age.
7. What Are Gross Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Gross motor skills allow children to control those body movements that require the use of large muscles in the legs, arms, and torso. Learn more about gross motor skills from examples and test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
9. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Elementary Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literacy Development
- MTLE Elementary Education: Print Awareness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTLE Elementary Education: Vocabulary
- MTLE Elementary Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literature & Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Language Conventions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Writing Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Communication Skills & Media Literacy
- MTLE Elementary Education: Assessments
- MTLE Elementary Education: Instructional Strategies
- MTLE Elementary Education: Numbers & Operation
- MTLE Elementary Education: Patterns & Functions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTLE Elementary Education: Data Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Processes
- MTLE Elementary Education: Fine Arts
- MTLE Elementary Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Life Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Social Studies Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Early Civilizations
- MTLE Elementary Education: Settling North America
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Revolutionary War
- MTLE Elementary Education: Westward Expansion
- MTLE Elementary Education: The American Civil War
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Industrial Revolution
- MTLE Elementary Education: 20th Century to Today
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geography
- MTLE Elementary Education: Citizenship & Government
- MTLE Elementary Education: Economics
- MTLE Elementary Education Flashcards