About This Chapter
MTLE Elementary Education: Numbers and Operation - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for a thorough yet time-efficient review of the various forms and properties of numeric operation you may be faced with on the MTLE Elementary Education exam, you're in the right place. By the end of this chapter, you'll have bolstered your readiness to answer questions pertaining to:
- Place value locations in whole numbers
- Rounding numbers up and down to the nearest 1000, 10,000, and 100,000
- Ordering and comparing rational numbers
- Calculating mathematical problems using estimation
- Inequalities and their symbols
- Equivalent expressions and simplifying fraction notations
- Problem-solving with fractions and decimals
- Fundamental arithmetic with whole numbers
- The correct setup to solve math problems
- The distributive, commutative and associative properties
Each lesson includes a practice quiz with a worksheet version that you can print to study further with offline. The quizzes provide links back to the point of the lessons that concern each question whenever you answer incorrectly, allowing for easy review. And if you find you're still unsure, you can always ask our professional instructors questions using the teacher or help tab.
MTLE Elementary Education: Numbers and Operation - Chapter Objectives
The MTLE Elementary Education exam includes three subtests made up of 50 multiple-choice questions each. You'll be given an hour to complete each subtest, all three of which must be passed in order to obtain a Minnesota teacher's license in the field. This chapter can help you get ready for the mathematics portion of the second subtest, which will count for 75% of your score on the subtest as a whole. While this chapter won't apply to the entire mathematics section, it can aid you in your studying for the portion of it that focuses on concepts of numerical literacy, which is one of the six parts included in this subarea.
1. Finding Place Values in Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the location of any place value that you are given. You will also be able to identify them in any whole number.
2. Rounding Numbers to the Nearest 1000, 10,000 & 100,000
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to round larger numbers like a pro. Learn what the cutoff numbers are for rounding up and down to the nearest thousand, ten thousand and hundred thousand.
3. Comparing & Ordering Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any rational number and compare it with any other rational number. Learn what you need to do so that you know which number is greater or lesser than another.
4. Solving Mathematical Problems Using Estimation
Estimating is a method of calculating a result that is close to, but not exactly, the correct answer to a math problem. Why would you ever need to do this? This lesson reviews estimating and answers the question as to why you would do it.
5. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
6. Equivalent Expressions and Fraction Notation
Did you know that two fractions can look completely different, but actually be the same? In this lesson, we'll learn about equivalent fractions. We'll also learn to simplify fraction notation.
7. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
8. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
9. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
10. The Commutative and Associative Properties and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is important and useful, but a few mathematical properties highlight cases where order doesn't matter. In this lesson, we'll learn about the commutative and associative properties, which may save you time and effort.
11. Distributive Property: Definition, Use & Examples
After completing this lesson, you will be able to state the distributive property and apply it to various types of problems. You will also be able to accurately perform the mathematical operations that are involved with the distributive property.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Elementary Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literacy Development
- MTLE Elementary Education: Print Awareness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTLE Elementary Education: Vocabulary
- MTLE Elementary Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literature & Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Language Conventions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Writing Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Communication Skills & Media Literacy
- MTLE Elementary Education: Assessments
- MTLE Elementary Education: Instructional Strategies
- MTLE Elementary Education: Patterns & Functions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTLE Elementary Education: Data Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Processes
- MTLE Elementary Education: Health & Fitness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Fine Arts
- MTLE Elementary Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Life Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Social Studies Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Early Civilizations
- MTLE Elementary Education: Settling North America
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Revolutionary War
- MTLE Elementary Education: Westward Expansion
- MTLE Elementary Education: The American Civil War
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Industrial Revolution
- MTLE Elementary Education: 20th Century to Today
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geography
- MTLE Elementary Education: Citizenship & Government
- MTLE Elementary Education: Economics
- MTLE Elementary Education Flashcards