About This Chapter
MTLE Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency - Chapter Summary
This chapter on phonics and fluency examines the ways in which children develop phonological skills and learn to express themselves through speech. On your way to earning a passing score on the MTLE Elementary Education examination, you can discover the process by which verbal sounds become actual language, and gain strategies for teaching text comprehension, fluency and phonics. Utilize this chapter's online text and video lessons for help with:
- Defining and providing examples of phoneme and phonology
- Identifying the stages of phonological development
- Understanding the letter combinations of phonological recoding
- Listing areas of effective reading programs that include phonemic awareness and vocabulary
- Expanding your ability to teach phonics by implementing sound-spelling and dictation techniques
- Exploring the correlation between encoding and decoding
- Understanding instructional strategies that focus on fluency and automaticity
The above information is presented by teaching professionals whose aim is to expand your knowledge of phonics and fluency. Studying the educational lessons is easy with a mobile device or other Web-connected technology. Move around the lessons with the video tags, which you'll locate under the timeline link. Each lesson concludes with a short multiple-choice quiz that will test your knowledge. Being able to ace these quizzes will let you know if you're ready to take on similar questions on the MTLE Elementary Education examination.
MTLE Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency Chapter Objectives
Delivered via the computer, the MTLE Elementary Education examination is divided into three separate subtests. All of them have a one-hour completion time and 50 multiple-choice questions each. Worth 78% of the score in subtest I, the Reading subarea contains questions on phonemic and phonological awareness. Utilize the information and strategies you've accumulated in this chapter when you reach this section of the examination as you go in pursuit of an elementary teaching certification.
1. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
2. Phonology: Definition, Rules & Examples
All languages follow a specific set of rules that determine how we sound when speaking. The study of these rules is called phonology. This lesson will introduce you to phonology and provide several examples of phonological processes.
3. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
4. Phonological Recoding: Syllable Patterns & Letter Combinations
Phonological skills are essential to learning to read and write. This lesson gives an overview of basic terms that describe letter combinations used in phonological recoding and explains how teachers can help students develop these skills.
5. Elements of Effective Reading Programs
This lesson discusses the necessary steps students must master in order to become great readers. This lesson reminds teachers that it is important to build a firm foundation so that readers can develop their reading skills over a period of time.
6. Teaching Phonics: Sound-Spelling, Blending & Dictation
For many children, phonics instruction is the root of learning to read. In this lesson, you will discover the importance of sound-spelling, blending, and dictation in phonics instruction.
7. The Relationship Between Decoding & Encoding in Phonics
Though not all children learn to read in the same way and at the same time, there are predictable relationships between some of their steps. This lesson will define decoding and encoding and detail their interplay in a developing reader.
8. Activities that Promote Reading Fluency
Learning to read can be a fun and exciting experience for young students. Providing activities that promote reading fluency helps to improve a child's skill.
9. Strategies for Teaching Automaticity & Fluency
Learn why fluency is important to reading comprehension and what strategies the experts recommend to improve a reader's accuracy, speed, and rhythm. You'll find out the basics of repeated reading and other techniques for teaching fluency.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Elementary Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literacy Development
- MTLE Elementary Education: Print Awareness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Vocabulary
- MTLE Elementary Education: Reading Comprehension
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literature & Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Language Conventions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Writing Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Communication Skills & Media Literacy
- MTLE Elementary Education: Assessments
- MTLE Elementary Education: Instructional Strategies
- MTLE Elementary Education: Numbers & Operation
- MTLE Elementary Education: Patterns & Functions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTLE Elementary Education: Data Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Processes
- MTLE Elementary Education: Health & Fitness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Fine Arts
- MTLE Elementary Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Life Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Social Studies Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Early Civilizations
- MTLE Elementary Education: Settling North America
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Revolutionary War
- MTLE Elementary Education: Westward Expansion
- MTLE Elementary Education: The American Civil War
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Industrial Revolution
- MTLE Elementary Education: 20th Century to Today
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geography
- MTLE Elementary Education: Citizenship & Government
- MTLE Elementary Education: Economics
- MTLE Elementary Education Flashcards