About This Chapter
MTLE Elementary Education: Reading Comprehension- Chapter Summary
The engaging and quick video lessons that will present this chapter's information to you will give you an opportunity to test yourself on how much you know about the reading comprehension portion of the exam. The following topics will be covered in these lessons:
- Terms literal, inferential and evaluative
- Reading intervention
- A guide to analyzing passages
- Drawing conclusions and identifying the purpose
- Making predictions and constructing meaning
- Listening and reading comprehension
- Teaching reading
Solidify your comprehension of reading comprehension by watching the lesson's videos from your computer or mobile device. This allows you the convenience and flexibility to study whenever it is best for you. Also, you can quickly revisit any portion of the lessons by using the video tags.
MTLE Elementary Education: Reading Comprehension Objectives
The purpose of the MTLE Elementary Education exam is to ensure that an educator has the necessary knowledge and skills to teach children at the Elementary level in the state of Minnesota. A portion of this exam expects the teacher to know the major concepts about reading comprehension and how to successfully teach it to students.
The reading portion of the entire exam is found under subtest 1. There are 3 subtests in the MTLE Elementary Education exam. The reading portion makes up about 78% of the subtest 1 section. Specifically, the reading comprehension makes up a small portion of the reading area of subtest 1.
1. Reading Comprehension: Literal, Inferential & Evaluative
Reading comprehension involves three levels of understanding: literal meaning, inferential meaning, and evaluative meaning. This lesson will differentiate and define these three levels.
2. Reading Intervention: Programs, Strategies and Activities
This lesson highlights programs, strategies and activities that can be used for students with reading difficulties. A short quiz follows to test your knowledge on these reading intervention techniques.
3. How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide
In this lesson, we will examine the steps involved in the basic analysis of literature. Then, using a well-known fable, we will go through each step of analysis: comprehension, interpreting and drawing conclusions.
4. Drawing Inferences in Fiction
In this lesson, we will discuss inferences in fiction. We will talk about what an inference is, learn how to make one and practice drawing inferences with some writing samples.
5. How to Analyze the Purpose of a Text
In this lesson, we will learn how to analyze the purpose of a text. We will explore some of the primary purposes and practice determining purpose using some writing samples.
6. Identifying the Organization in a Reading Selection
Nonfiction texts can be organized in a variety of ways. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to identify which organizational structure is being used in a reading selection.
7. How to Make Predictions Based on Information from a Reading Selection
Making predictions when reading is an important reading comprehension strategy. In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important and how to model and practice it.
8. Constructing Meaning with Context Clues, Prior Knowledge & Word Structure
In this lesson, you will learn how readers use prior knowledge, context clues and word structure to aid their understanding of what they read. Explore these strategies through examples from literature and everyday life.
9. Reading Strategies Using Visualization
In this lesson, we will define visualization. We will then discuss why this step is important, how we can visualize, and when you should visualize. Finally, we will look at a sample from a poem and practice visualizing.
10. Relationship Between Listening & Reading Comprehension
Listening and reading have two different origins but are closely linked in learning. Watch this video lesson to learn the relationship between the two and how one depends on the other as a child learns language.
11. How to Teach Reading: Planning and Execution
Feeling overwhelmed with the immensity of teaching reading comprehension? Watch this video lesson to learn four easy steps to plan and execute reading lessons.
12. Strategies for Scaffolding Reading Instruction
Ever heard the phrase 'reading is the gateway to all learning'? Reading is one of the areas targeted by most states for assessment because it not only is a critical area in academics, but also an area where most students were not showing gains. This lesson will highlight strategies to help struggling readers develop skills to be successful in the classroom.
13. Strategies for Developing Students' Learning & Reading Habits
Ever finished reading and couldn't remember what you had just read? Many students experience this, too. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies to help your students develop healthy reading habits.
14. Methods for Determining Students' Reading Level
Assessment is essential. All students are at different reading levels and abilities. Watch this video lesson to learn ways to assess the reading level of your students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Elementary Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literacy Development
- MTLE Elementary Education: Print Awareness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTLE Elementary Education: Vocabulary
- MTLE Elementary Education: Literature & Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Language Conventions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Writing Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Communication Skills & Media Literacy
- MTLE Elementary Education: Assessments
- MTLE Elementary Education: Instructional Strategies
- MTLE Elementary Education: Numbers & Operation
- MTLE Elementary Education: Patterns & Functions
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geometry & Measurement
- MTLE Elementary Education: Data Analysis
- MTLE Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Processes
- MTLE Elementary Education: Health & Fitness
- MTLE Elementary Education: Fine Arts
- MTLE Elementary Education: Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Life Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTLE Elementary Education: Social Studies Skills
- MTLE Elementary Education: Early Civilizations
- MTLE Elementary Education: Settling North America
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Revolutionary War
- MTLE Elementary Education: Westward Expansion
- MTLE Elementary Education: The American Civil War
- MTLE Elementary Education: The Industrial Revolution
- MTLE Elementary Education: 20th Century to Today
- MTLE Elementary Education: Geography
- MTLE Elementary Education: Citizenship & Government
- MTLE Elementary Education: Economics
- MTLE Elementary Education Flashcards