About This Chapter
MTLE Health: Adult Health & Development - Chapter Summary
Review cognitive development and physical development for adults in these lessons. Doing so prepares you for questions on the MTLE Health exam that relate to:
- Early adulthood reproduction
- Physical development in early and middle adulthood
- Fitness, health, and sexual functioning in middle adulthood
- Adults' cognitive development
- Health concerns in late adulthood
- Sexual functioning and cognitive development in late adulthood
Go through this chapter to review the stages of adulthood both in regards to mental and physical health. Our video lessons are not long, and they make the learning/reviewing process a little bit more fun. See how much information you retained from this chapter by using our self-assessment quizzes, which help you determine how prepared you are for the actual exam.
1. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
2. Reproduction in Early Adulthood
In their twenties and thirties, many people have children. However, it doesn't always go smoothly. In this lesson, we will explore sex and reproduction in early adulthood, including changes in sex drives and reproductive issues, like infertility.
3. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
4. Physical Development in Middle Adulthood
Middle age comes with many new physical challenges, from wrinkles to hearing loss to weight gain. This lesson examines many of the signs of aging that are common in middle adulthood and how people can fight middle age weight gain.
5. Health and Fitness in Middle Adulthood
As people age, new health issues can arise. Watch this lesson to find out more about the two most common causes of death in middle age - cancer and cardiovascular disease - and how fitness and personality can combat them.
6. Sexual Functioning in Middle Adulthood
Sexuality is an important part of most adults' lives. But what happens when things change? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the changes regarding sex that often occur in middle age, including sexual dysfunction and changes in the frequency of sex.
7. Cognitive Development in Adults
As people age, they discover that their thought processes change. Though some cognitive abilities decrease in middle age, some increase. In this lesson, we'll look at how executive functioning and wisdom increase in middle age.
8. Life Expectancy and Life Span: Definition & Factors
Everyone wants to live forever, but the truth is that we all have only a limited time to be alive. In this lesson, we'll look at life expectancy and life span, as well as factors that can influence how long a person lives.
9. Health, Fitness, and Sexuality in Late Adulthood
As people age, their bodies change. But what does that mean in terms of health, fitness, and sexuality? Watch this lesson for information on how diet and exercise impact health and how sexuality changes in late life.
10. Major Mental Health Concerns in Late Adulthood
Everyone forgets things sometimes, but as people age, they often have trouble with memory and other cognitive processes. Watch this lesson to find out more about two types of thinking problems, frontotemporal and multi-infarct dementia.
11. Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
Many people are aware of some of the memory problems older adults have, but did you know that they become better at some types of thinking? In this lesson, we'll examine the positive and negative cognitive changes in late life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MTLE Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MTLE Health: Nature of Illness & Disease
- MTLE Health: Disease Prevention & Public Health
- MTLE Health: Human Sexuality
- MTLE Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MTLE Health: Human Development
- MTLE Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MTLE Health: Nutritional Health Across the Life Span
- MTLE Health: Planning a Balanced Diet
- MTLE Health: Benefits of Physical Fitness
- MTLE Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MTLE Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MTLE Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MTLE Health: Making Healthy Decisions
- MTLE Health: Health Information Resources
- MTLE Health: Health Care Systems
- MTLE Health: Media & Advertising
- MTLE Health: Reading & Comprehension Skills
- MTLE Health: Health Education Programs
- MTLE Health: Environmental Health & Pollution
- MTLE Health Flashcards