About This Chapter
MTLE Health: Benefits of Physical Fitness - Chapter Summary
Most everyone understands the weight loss benefits of consistent exercise. You could delve deeper into the emotional, mental and developmental advantages of physical fitness by exploring the informative video lessons in this study guide chapter. Each lesson uses an easy-to-understand format to review topics that you'll encounter during the MTLE Health exam, including:
- Components of physical fitness and its importance in health maintenance
- Principles for improving health and fitness through physical activity
- Impact of consistent exercise on life span, coping with stress and overall mental well-being
- Basic types and elements of exercise programs such as aerobics, anaerobics, strength training and stretching
- Key training principles, including overload, specificity and progression
- Relationship between physical activity and brain development and cognition
Strengthen your understanding of essential exercise programs and their multi-level benefits by studying the information in these lessons. As you complete each lesson, be sure to utilize the quizzes and chapter exam to reflect on your comprehension of the material. These study tools will help you prepare for both the format and types of questions you'll encounter on the MTLE Health exam. Each video also comes with a full transcript and quiz worksheet for additional study material.
1. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
2. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
3. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
4. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
5. Anaerobic Exercise: Definition, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about anaerobic exercise and its health benefits. In addition, you will obtain knowledge of the various types of anaerobic workouts.
6. What Is Aerobic Exercise? - Definition, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn about the characteristics of aerobic exercise and its many health benefits. You will also read about examples of different types of aerobic workouts.
7. The 3 Principles of Training: Overload, Specificity & Progression
In this lesson, you'll learn about the three principles of training and how to apply them to any fitness program. You'll also gain a clear understanding of why incorporating these principles into your exercise routine is necessary to improve fitness.
8. The Benefits of Exercise on the Developing Brain
The brain continues to change as you age and develop. This lesson examines the interaction of exercise with the brain, and subsequent changes to cognition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MTLE Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MTLE Health: Nature of Illness & Disease
- MTLE Health: Disease Prevention & Public Health
- MTLE Health: Human Sexuality
- MTLE Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MTLE Health: Human Development
- MTLE Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adult Health & Development
- MTLE Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MTLE Health: Nutritional Health Across the Life Span
- MTLE Health: Planning a Balanced Diet
- MTLE Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MTLE Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MTLE Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MTLE Health: Making Healthy Decisions
- MTLE Health: Health Information Resources
- MTLE Health: Health Care Systems
- MTLE Health: Media & Advertising
- MTLE Health: Reading & Comprehension Skills
- MTLE Health: Health Education Programs
- MTLE Health: Environmental Health & Pollution
- MTLE Health Flashcards