About This Chapter
MTLE Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes short and interesting video lessons that will help you review topics such ways to stop school bullying, the media's impact on violence, crisis intervention techniques and much more! Test your yourself to determine the amount of information you remember by taking the quizzes at the end of each lesson. The other topics contained in this chapter include these:
- Common problems among elementary, middle, and secondary school children
- Societal factors in American violence
- Conflict resolution activities for children
- Definition and effects of school violence
- Programs for school violence prevention
- Divorce and other types of family challenges
- Definition of domestic violence, violence against men and women, and aggressive behavior
- Sexual harassment's impact on adolescent development
Our transcripts provide you with important vocabulary words that enable you to create your own list if needed. This chapter is also mobile friendly and can be accessed on your smartphone or tablet. The worksheets along with their answers can be printed out also.
1. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
2. Common Issues with Middle/Secondary School Children
You may have had a tough time during your middle or high school years; during that time, it's common for teens to go through various emotional challenges. Here, we will look into several issues that are commonly faced during this time.
3. Violence in America: Societal & Personal Factors
More than just economic factors play a role in the potential for someone to commit a violent crime. Some other types of factors that may contribute to someone committing a violent crime are discussed here as well.
4. How to Stop Bullying in School
Bullying is a problem all schools - even yours - will face at some point. This lesson will give you strategies (and examples of strategies at work) for curbing a bullying problem in your school.
5. Conflict Resolution Activities for Kids
This lesson will address the importance of teaching children to resolve conflicts peacefully and will offer a three-step process for learning the basic skills of conflict resolution.
6. Conflict Resolution Styles
Countries disagree with each other very frequently, but yet there are only a few wars for each of those disagreements. How do countries avoid resorting to force? This lesson explains the options open to countries to resolve conflicts.
7. School Violence: Definition, History, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we will learn the definition and history of school violence. We will also discuss the causes and effects of school violence. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
8. School Violence Prevention: Programs & Strategies
School violence has a major impact on students' learning. But what is school violence and what can schools do to provide a safe learning environment? In this lesson, you will learn about various types of school violence and strategies and programs schools have put in place to prevent it.
9. Family Challenges: Divorce, Blended Families & Family Violence
The following lesson covers some of the more challenging issues a growing number of families are currently facing, including divorce, blending of families, and abuse. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
10. Domestic Violence and Sociology: Definition & Effects
This lesson defines domestic violence and gives examples of what domestic abuse can be. The effects of domestic violence for adults, children, adolescents, and families are also discussed.
11. Violence and the Media: How the Media Impacts Violence
For years, psychologists have studied the effect watching violent media has on people's behavior. In this lesson, we'll look at the link between media violence and real-life aggression and discover why watching violent TV might affect people's levels of aggression.
12. Violence Against Women and Men: Definitions & Gender Differences
Some types of crime are especially painful due to their personal nature. This lesson discusses three forms of violence, including sexual assault, rape, and domestic violence. Definitions, basic statistics, and a discussion of gender differences are provided.
13. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
14. Aggressive Behavior: Definition, Types & Signs
Aggressive behaviors are those that are hostile and violate other people's rights. Learn about reactive and proactive aggressive behaviors, the mental disorders associated with aggressive behavior, and more, in this lesson.
15. Crisis Counseling & Intervention Strategies
This lesson will explore the important elements of crisis counseling. We will also discuss strategies for intervention. The lesson will end with a short quiz to see what you have learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MTLE Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MTLE Health: Nature of Illness & Disease
- MTLE Health: Disease Prevention & Public Health
- MTLE Health: Human Sexuality
- MTLE Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MTLE Health: Human Development
- MTLE Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adult Health & Development
- MTLE Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MTLE Health: Nutritional Health Across the Life Span
- MTLE Health: Planning a Balanced Diet
- MTLE Health: Benefits of Physical Fitness
- MTLE Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MTLE Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MTLE Health: Making Healthy Decisions
- MTLE Health: Health Information Resources
- MTLE Health: Health Care Systems
- MTLE Health: Media & Advertising
- MTLE Health: Reading & Comprehension Skills
- MTLE Health: Health Education Programs
- MTLE Health: Environmental Health & Pollution
- MTLE Health Flashcards