About This Chapter
MTLE Health: Emotional and Mental Health - Chapter Summary
This chapter contains everything you'll need to study effectively for the portions of the MTLE Health exam that center on emotional and mental health. Our brief video lessons detail the following key topics:
- Mental health development during childhood and adolescence
- Mental health and psychopathology
- Self-identity and self-awareness
- General adaptation syndrome
- How stress and control issues affect health and chronic conditions
- Anxiety disorders
- Eating disorders
Each lesson gives you the option of reviewing the content through a video or transcript of the material, depending on the way you prefer to study. After going through each lesson, you'll be able to test your intake of it through a practice quiz that will also serve to prepare you for the type of questions you'll be answering on the exam.
1. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
2. Mental Health & Psychopathology: Definition & Dimensions
In this lesson, we will explore some of the basic ways that we differentiate between mental health and psychopathology. Included in this is looking at social, behavioral, thought, and emotional processes.
3. Self Identity: Theory & Definition
Self-identity plays a large and significant role in shaping each of our lives. Learn about self-identity in psychology, and test your understanding with a quiz.
4. Self-Awareness: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we'll discuss the definition of self-awareness and its benefits to your life. Discover what can prevent a person from being self-aware, and learn about several tools to help you increase your self-awareness.
5. Understanding Stress: Eustress, Distress & Coping Strategies
Most people have to deal with stress on a regular basis. But do you know what it's really doing to your body? Learn more about the reasons behind feeling stressed as well as common strategies to not let the stress get to you.
6. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
7. How Stress and Control Issues Affect Health and Chronic Conditions
In this lesson, we'll look at how the idea of control, or the illusion of control, leads a person to stress. This stress, in turn, magnifies many chronic ailments.
8. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
9. What Is Depression? - Symptoms, Treatment & Causes
In this lesson you will learn the difference between the feeling of depression and Major Depressive Disorder, or Major Depression. You will also learn about the causes behind Major Depression and what the current treatments are for people suffering from the disorder.
10. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
11. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MTLE Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MTLE Health: Nature of Illness & Disease
- MTLE Health: Disease Prevention & Public Health
- MTLE Health: Human Sexuality
- MTLE Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MTLE Health: Human Development
- MTLE Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adult Health & Development
- MTLE Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MTLE Health: Nutritional Health Across the Life Span
- MTLE Health: Planning a Balanced Diet
- MTLE Health: Benefits of Physical Fitness
- MTLE Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MTLE Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MTLE Health: Making Healthy Decisions
- MTLE Health: Health Information Resources
- MTLE Health: Health Care Systems
- MTLE Health: Media & Advertising
- MTLE Health: Reading & Comprehension Skills
- MTLE Health: Health Education Programs
- MTLE Health: Environmental Health & Pollution
- MTLE Health Flashcards