About This Chapter
MTLE Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies - Chapter Summary
These video lessons and quizzes within this chapter present essential information about injury prevention and safety strategies. By exploring all the lessons in this chapter, you will be ready for questions on the MTLE Health exam that deal with the following:
- Precautionary measures for residential safety
- How to identify and avoid personal safety threats
- Pedestrian and auto safety
- Water and recreational safety
- Preventing intentional injuries
- Child proofing
- Alcohol effects
- Tobacco effects
- Emergency care types
- Preparing for weather emergencies
There are lesson transcripts that go along with this chapter's videos for your review. Some of the transcripts include links to extra text lessons that can further explain specific key topics and terms. You can watch the video lessons multiple times or use the video timeline feature to quickly access specific portions.
1. Residential Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
Residential safety involves safety measures that concern your home. This lesson will explain the many dangers that lurk at home and how you can avoid them.
2. Identifying & Avoiding Threats to Personal Safety
In this lesson, you'll be learning about how to increase your students' personal safety. We'll go over ways to improve safety at school, as well as ways to teach them to be safe at home and on the way to and from school. This lesson will explore ways to teach young students and high school students about personal safety.
3. Pedestrian & Automotive Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
The safety of pedestrians and motor vehicle operators are often interlinked. This lesson will teach you about important safety measures you can take as a driver and a pedestrian to protect your life and those of others.
4. Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
We all love to have fun, but that fun may come at a cost unless you are safe about recreation, namely water activities like boating and swimming. This lesson will show you why and what you can do to protect yourself.
5. Strategies to Prevent Intentional Injuries
Violent crimes occur on a daily basis, but that does not mean you have to be a victim. This lesson will outline some basic, but important tips and strategies you can use to keep yourself safe at home and in the outer world.
6. Child Proofing with Safety Equipment
What dangers lurk, waiting to injure or even kill a child? What safety equipment can you use to prevent an injury to a child or even their death? This lesson focuses on safety equipment that can be used for a child's benefit for sport, car, and home.
7. The Effects of Alcohol: Physiological, Behavioral & Long-Term
If you've ever wondered why men seem to tolerate alcohol better than women or what alcohol does to the body and mind, then tune into this lesson for more information.
8. Tobacco Use: Addiction and Short-Term Effects
In this lesson, you will learn about why it is that smoking is so addictive and what the short-term consequences of tobacco use will result in. You will also find out how nicotine plays an important role in all of this.
9. Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods
This lesson will teach you the first important steps you may need to take during an emergency situation and some basic but important life-saving techniques you can use during such an emergency.
10. Safety Precautions for Weather Emergencies
Hurricanes, tornadoes, lightning, and flooding! What should you do to prepare for weather emergencies like these? Let's learn about some important precautions to take when faced with these kinds of emergencies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MTLE Health: Nature of Illness & Disease
- MTLE Health: Disease Prevention & Public Health
- MTLE Health: Human Sexuality
- MTLE Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MTLE Health: Human Development
- MTLE Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adult Health & Development
- MTLE Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MTLE Health: Nutritional Health Across the Life Span
- MTLE Health: Planning a Balanced Diet
- MTLE Health: Benefits of Physical Fitness
- MTLE Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MTLE Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MTLE Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MTLE Health: Making Healthy Decisions
- MTLE Health: Health Information Resources
- MTLE Health: Health Care Systems
- MTLE Health: Media & Advertising
- MTLE Health: Reading & Comprehension Skills
- MTLE Health: Health Education Programs
- MTLE Health: Environmental Health & Pollution
- MTLE Health Flashcards