About This Chapter
MTLE Health: Reading & Comprehension Skills
The Reading & Comprehension Skills chapter reviews techniques for improving student reading comprehension and components of various reading comprehension instructional strategies. The Reading & Comprehension Skills chapter includes lessons on:
- Print awareness and concepts
- Basic phonics and literary decoding skills
- Selected reading materials and sources
- Promoting literacy in the classroom
- Teaching reading comprehension
- Analyzing two theme-related texts
- Understanding effective classroom strategies
- Instructional strategies
- Promoting student health literacy
- Differentiated instruction
- Acquiring vocabulary words; vocabulary and reading comprehension
- Using context and relationships to determine word meanings
Once you complete this chapter you'll have a better understanding of reading comprehension strategies, how you use these strategies to better instruct students in the classroom and the importance of reading comprehension in health studies. Use our short video lessons with convenient video tags and transcripts taught by subject matter experts to review for your MTLE Health test.
1. Development of Print Awareness & Concepts
One of the very first steps in the reading process is print awareness. This lesson defines print awareness and gives some hints on how to use lap reading to develop an understanding of print directionality, spacing, and the alphabetic principle.
2. Basic Phonics & Decoding Skills for Literacy
Learning to read and write requires a solid foundation of phonics and decoding skills. This lesson will define phonics and show how basic skills can help struggling readers.
3. Promoting Literacy in the Classroom: Strategies & Tips
This lesson will help you explore various ways to promote literacy in your classroom that are both educational and fun for students. Learn a few strategies and tips to help your students read for pleasure and by choice.
4. How to Teach Reading Comprehension
Teaching reading comprehension requires instilling in the learner the use of several strategies and skills. This lesson will focus on cognitive skills and notation strategies that will enhance reading comprehension.
5. How to Analyze Two Texts Related by Theme or Topic
In this lesson, we will learn how to analyze two texts related by theme or topic. We will discuss how to analyze the texts individually and then how to synthesize their information.
6. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
7. Instructional Strategies: Hands-On, Interactive, Expository & Collaborative
In this lesson, we will use the fictional Academy of Magic to illustrate four types of instructional strategies that teachers use in the classroom: expository instruction, interactive instruction, hands-on instruction and collaborative instruction.
8. How to Promote Students' Health Literacy
This lesson goes over a few ways by which a student's health literacy can be improved. It will outline general strategies but also provide some more specific ways by which this can be accomplished.
9. What Is Differentiated Instruction? - Examples, Definition & Activities
This lesson explores the concept of differentiated instruction and how this approach to teaching takes into account the differences between learners and modifies instruction to meet the needs of all students. After completing the lesson, take the short quiz that follows.
10. Strategies for Acquiring and Using New Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will discuss methods for growing our vocabulary and putting the new words into practice. We will also learn how to discover the meaning of words based on the context, the surrounding information.
11. Vocabulary Words & Reading Comprehension: Teaching Strategies
Learning how to decipher unfamiliar words is imperative in any language arts classroom. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for teaching vocabulary in reading passages.
12. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
13. Understanding Words By Their Relationships
Many words in the English language have multiple meanings. To really understand a word, we have to understand the relationship between particular words. In this lesson, we will examine this through connotations, denotations, synonyms, and analogies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Health: Injury Prevention & Safety Strategies
- MTLE Health: Substance Use, Abuse & Dependence
- MTLE Health: Nature of Illness & Disease
- MTLE Health: Disease Prevention & Public Health
- MTLE Health: Human Sexuality
- MTLE Health: Overview of the Human Body
- MTLE Health: Human Development
- MTLE Health: Childhood Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adolescent Growth & Development
- MTLE Health: Adult Health & Development
- MTLE Health: Types & Sources of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Functions of Nutrients
- MTLE Health: Principles of Nutritional Health
- MTLE Health: Nutritional Health Across the Life Span
- MTLE Health: Planning a Balanced Diet
- MTLE Health: Benefits of Physical Fitness
- MTLE Health: Emotional & Mental Health
- MTLE Health: Interpersonal Communication Skills
- MTLE Health: Conflict Resolution & Violence Prevention
- MTLE Health: Making Healthy Decisions
- MTLE Health: Health Information Resources
- MTLE Health: Health Care Systems
- MTLE Health: Media & Advertising
- MTLE Health: Health Education Programs
- MTLE Health: Environmental Health & Pollution
- MTLE Health Flashcards