About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms - Chapter Summary
Prepare for MTLE Life Science exam questions on how scientists organize living creatures with this chapter's lessons. Our instructors will show you the basics of taxonomy, characteristics of the fungi kingdom and many other classification topics. In this chapter we'll review:
- How to define the characteristics of living things
- The definition, characteristics and examples of the kingdom protista, the animalia kingdom, the kingdom fungi, and the kingdom plantae
- Bacteria's characteristics
With our expert instructors leading short, easy-to-navigate video lessons and self-assessment quizzes at the end of each lesson, you'll be able to study at your own pace. Whether you just need a review, or you're completely lost when it comes to living organism classification, this chapter will help you succeed on your exam.
1. The Defining Characteristics of Living Organisms
A house is not a living thing, but the people, animals, and plants living inside it are. So how do we define 'life'? Learn about seven characteristics that all living organisms have in common, no matter how different they may look on the outside.
2. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
3. Kingdom Protista: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Learn about the requirements to enter Kingdom Protista, one of the five kingdoms of life. Discover and read about the organisms that can be found there.
4. Animalia Kingdom: Definition, Characteristics & Facts
With over one million different species, the Animalia Kingdom is considered the largest kingdom. Its organisms also inhabit the most diverse habitats on Earth. This lesson will examine what characteristics animals possess and then will list some awesome animal facts.
5. Kingdom Fungi: Definition, Characteristics, & Examples
The kingdom Fungi includes a diverse group of organisms that are neither plant nor animal. They absorb nutrition from other organisms while playing the important role of ecological decomposers. Learn more about this group and take a short quiz at the end.
6. Kingdom Plantae: Facts, Characteristics & Examples
Chances are, you can thank a plant for your clothes, your food, and even your house. This lesson will explore the kingdom plantae including characteristics plants share as well as some facts and examples of organisms within this kingdom.
7. What is Bacteria? - Definition & Types
Germs...bugs...prokaryotes...monerans. Whatever you call them, bacteria outnumber every other kind of life on this planet. In this lesson, we'll take a look at these tiny creatures to determine exactly what they are, as well as the methods we use to try and classify them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards