About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression - Chapter Summary
This chapter discusses and explains how any change in the genetic material of a cell can impact the organism, and the factors that can cause or affect those changes. Upon completion of this chapter's lessons, you'll be well-prepared for any items on the MTLE Life Science test that deal with:
- The composition and functions of genes
- The impact of genetic mutations on DNA
- Effects and causes of gene mutations
- The regulation of gene expression
- Genetic physical traits
- The impact of environmental factors on trait expression
Convenience is a key component of this prep chapter; you can use a computer, smartphone or tablet to complete the lessons. Take a practice quiz after each lesson to confirm your understanding of the material.
1. What Is a Gene? - Definition & Structure
Genes are little codes found in our cells that make up who we are. This lesson covers where genes are located, how we get our genes, and the functions of genes.
2. What is a Point Mutation? - Definition, Causes & Types
What are genetic mutations? How do they affect our DNA? This lesson covers the basics of point mutations and provides simple examples of different mutation types.
3. Mutations: When DNA Is Copied Wrong
In this lesson, we will learn how mutations, or errors in DNA, come about, what kinds of effects they may have, and how they can impact populations as a whole.
4. Regulation of Gene Expression: Transcriptional Repression and Induction
Do our genes work the same way all the time? How do we regulate the expression of our genes? Explore the various ways organisms control gene transcription through repression and induction of operons.
5. Genetic Physical Traits: Definition & Examples
This lesson describes the relationship between genetics and physical traits. It details the relationship between DNA and physical form. Also included are real-world examples, illustrations, and a brief quiz.
6. Gene-Environment Interaction
The following lesson explores how genes and a person's environment influence behavior and outward expression of traits. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding of this timely topic.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards