About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology - Chapter Summary
In this chapter we'll show you important subject matter surrounding gene technology, including genetic engineering. This chapter will also have you ready for any MTLE Life Science exam questions about:
- Recombinant DNA
- The pros and cons of gene therapy
- Hybrid plants
You can complete the lessons throughout this chapter using a tablet, smartphone or computer. Follow each lesson with a practice quiz to confirm your understanding of the different gene technology topics.
1. Recombinant DNA: Definition, Applications & Methods
This lesson is all about recombinant DNA, which is DNA that has been combined from multiple sources. If you ever wondered about GMO's or how scientists are manipulating DNA to cure diseases, this article is for you!
2. What is Gene Therapy? - Definition, History Pros, Cons & Examples
Learn how gene therapy is used to treat disease, the history of the treatment and its trials, as well as the pros and cons associated with this controversial new technique.
3. What is Genetic Engineering? - Definition and Examples
How do we make the insulin used by diabetic patients? In this lesson, you'll learn the basics of how genetic engineering can be used to transform a bacterial host cell into a genetically-modified organism that produces human insulin.
4. Hybrid Plants: Definition & Examples
Plant hybridization is nothing new to science; as a species, we have been breeding plants together for thousands of years. Here we will discuss hybrid plants in the classical sense and how this hybridization has helped science.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards