About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System- Chapter Summary
The instructors that teach this chapter's video lessons will guide you through the characteristics of the human immune system. This will ultimately help you prepare for the MTLE Life Science test. Topics that will be discussed include:
- How the immune system and immunizations work
- Adaptive immunity
- Humoral immune response
- Hypersensitivity reactions and autoimmune diseases
- Diseases and disorders that affect the immune system, including the flu and malaria
- Vaccination, sterilization, and other ways to prevent and control diseases
In addition to engaging video lessons, you will also find transcripts for each video lesson, quizzes after each lesson and a chapter test that can all be used to help you reach your goals.
1. How the Human Immune System Works
Your immune system protects you against microorganisms that could make you sick. It is made up of an army of white blood cells that work together to recognize and destroy the bad guys. Learn how your immune system and immunizations work.
2. What Is Adaptive Immunity? - Definition and Types
This lesson will help you distinguish between several different types of immunity. This includes passive immunity, active immunity, naturally acquired immunity and artificially acquired immunity.
3. The Humoral Immune Response: Definition and Features
This lesson will describe what humoral immunity is, how it is activated, what is produced, and why. Find out as we explore antigen presenting cells, MHC, T cells, B cells, plasma cells, and antibodies.
4. Autoimmune Diseases and Hypersensitivity
This lesson will talk about what defines an autoimmune disease, a hypersensitivity reaction, and more. We'll also discuss Graves' disease and myasthenia gravis.
5. Flu Viruses, HIV and Immune System Evasion
Why is it that our immune systems can protect us from some viruses but not others? We've eradicated smallpox by using vaccines, so why do influenza and HIV remain such dangerous health risks? In this lesson about viruses, we'll explore these questions and learn how influenza and HIV continue to evade the human immune system.
6. What is Malaria? - Causes, Transmission & Symptoms
Malaria is a devastating disease that impacts millions of people worldwide every year. In this lesson, we will explore the organism that causes malaria and the disease itself.
7. What Causes Cancer?
This lesson will discuss a model of cancer formation as well as some things that can cause cancer. You'll learn about initiation, promotion, and progression as well as what occurs during each step.
8. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards