About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Matter & The Flow of Energy- Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we'll help you review everything you need to know about matter and energy flow to be successful on your exam. Our experts will show about you the biosphere, the phosphorus cycle, and many other concepts. Topics covered will include:
- Cycles of matter
- The phosphorus cycle
- The biosphere
- Food chains
- Ecology consumer
With the knowledge of these concepts under your belt, you'll be well on your way to acing the MTLE Life Science exam. Our easy-to-navigate video lessons and self-assessment quizzes will help you review these matter and energy flow topics so you'll easily be able to apply these concepts to the MTLE exam.
1. Cycles of Matter: The Nitrogen Cycle and the Carbon Cycle
Matter is constantly cycled between living and nonliving parts of the environment. Processes like photosynthesis and nitrogen fixation allow the carbon and nitrogen cycles to regenerate needed substances by recycling Earth's atoms.
2. Phosphorus Cycle: Steps, Definition & Diagram
Phosphorus is an essential element to all living organisms. It is part of our DNA and RNA, and it forms the molecule ATP, which gives all living things energy. This lesson explains its importance and will walk you through the steps of the phosphorus cycle.
3. Biosphere: Definition & Explanation
All organisms, from the tiniest bacterium to the largest blue whale, need a place to live. The 'place on Earth's surface where life dwells' is called the biosphere. But what does this really mean? In this lesson, we'll look at the definition of the biosphere and examine how human activity is changing this important part of our planet.
4. Food Chains, Trophic Levels and Energy Flow in an Ecosystem
In this lesson, you'll learn about food chains, food webs, and the different roles that organisms play in an ecosystem. You'll also learn about how energy flows through an ecosystem.
5. Ecology Producer: Definition & Explanation
This lesson will define what a producer is and what its role is in an ecosystem. It will also discuss the different kinds of producers and give some specific examples of them.
6. Ecology Consumer: Definition & Explanation
This lesson will discuss the role of consumers in an ecosystem. It will describe their place in a food chain and how they interact with other organisms. Specific types of consumers will be presented.
7. What is a Decomposer? - Definition & Examples
Decomposers are an often overlooked part of the natural world, but their job is an important one. Learn what decomposers are, what role they have in the environment and how people use them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards