About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis- Chapter Summary
You have the opportunity to master the components of mitosis and meiosis found on the MTLE Life Science exam with the provided video lessons. These video lessons cover the difference between mitosis and meiosis. The lessons in this chapter offer a review of:
- The cell cycle
- Genetic variation
- Theory of inheritance
Study the lessons in this chapter whenever or wherever it is convenient for you. The resources in this chapter are mobile-friendly to give you the flexibility to study at your convenience. The lessons are also taught by experienced and knowledgeable instructors who will help you prepare for the exam.
MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis Objectives
The MTLE Life Science exam is used to determine your readiness and ability to teach children in grades 9-12 on the subject of life science. This exam is administered to teachers in Minnesota after they have passed general teacher certification exams.
There are two subtests within the MTLE Life Science exam. There are three subareas within the first subtest. Information on mitosis and meiosis is one portion found under the third subarea, Molecular Reproduction and Heredity. This subarea makes up 40% of subtest I.
1. The Cell Cycle: Definition, Phases & Sequence
Learn about the dividing and non-dividing states of the cell and discover the different phases of the cell cycle, including interphase, cytokinesis, and the stages of cell division.
2. What Are Chromosomes? - Definition, Function, Types & Structure
In this lesson, you'll find out why primates look so human while learning about the different types of chromosomes and how they work. You'll also get a chance to see what a chromosome looks like and discover how many genes are found in the human body.
3. What is Mitosis? - Definition, Stages & Function
Every day your body cells are dividing using a process called mitosis. This allows you to grow and replace damaged or worn out cells. Learn about the stages of mitosis: prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.
4. What is Meiosis? - Steps & Results
It's meiosis that gives us the male and female reproductive cells known as the egg and sperm. In meiosis, two cell divisions take place, which produces four genetically unique cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.
5. How Meiosis & Fertilization Promote Genetic Variation
Individuals are different because of their genetic variation. Even two siblings who come from the same parents have different genetic make-ups. This variation comes from both meiosis and fertilization, which are components of sexual reproduction.
6. The Chromosome Theory of Inheritance: Segregation and Independent Assortment
Mendel proposed the law of segregation and the law of independent assortment to explain the inheritance behind his pea plant traits. A hundred years later, Boveri and Sutton developed the chromosome theory of inheritance, which stated that chromosomes were responsible for the heredity Mendel observed. Learn about these men and their ideas in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards