About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment - Chapter Summary
These lessons have been composed to help teacher candidates like yourself improve your understanding of organisms' niches in their environment, different aspects of ecosystems and the different relationships between organism of an ecosystem. Use these lessons to prepare for exam questions on the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examination (MTLE) Life Science exam about:
- Different types of natural habitats and habitat destruction
- How adapting to an environment and competition affects an organism's niche
- Different aspects of ecosystems and how organisms adapt to them
- Mutualism, commensalism and parasitism
- Functions of intraspecific competition
- Behaviors and roles of predators in ecosystems
- Processes of ecosystems and ecosystem ecology
These lessons are mobile device compatible so that you can watch them even when you are away from your desk. After watching these lesson videos, try reading the lesson transcripts for an additional review of the material. Use the lesson quizzes to discover topics you don't understand, and then revisit that information with the video tags, which allow you to jump directly to specific parts of the lesson.
1. What is a Natural Habitat? - Definition & Habitat Destruction
There are many places that animals, plants, and other organisms call home - their natural habitats. In this lesson, you will go over a few natural habitats and discover ways in which some are being destroyed.
2. Realized Niche: Example & Definition
Every organism is adapted to environmental conditions in its habitat. However, it sometimes faces competition with other species that limits the conditions under which it can exist. Explore how competition between species can shape an organism's niche.
3. Ecosystems, Habitats and Ecological Niches
Check out this video lesson to understand the many complex aspects of an ecosystem. See how animals live in habitats and survive amongst their surroundings.
4. Symbiotic Relationships: Mutualism, Commensalism & Parasitism
If your cat or dog has ever had fleas, you've witnessed symbiosis in action. In this lesson, learn the many types of symbiosis in biology, and how these relationships can have a positive, negative, or neutral effect on the individual species.
5. Intraspecific Competition: Example & Definition
How do members of the same species share resources? There's an ongoing struggle among individuals of the same species called intraspecific competition, and this competition is one way that nature controls how large a population gets.
6. Predator in Ecosystems: Definition & Explanation
This lesson will define what predators are, explain how they behave, and discuss their role in an ecosystem. Examples of predators will also be given.
7. Ecosystem Ecology: Definition & Explanation
What powers life? How much energy do animals get from eating plants? What short- and long-term effects will climate change have on our environment? Asking questions such as these help ecologists better understand ecosystems and the processes within them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards