About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity - Chapter Summary
Reexamine the diversity of living things, their concentration in a given ecosystem, how that ecosystem supports them and why they move from one place to another in these lessons. These lessons will have you ready for MTLE Life Science test questions about:
- What the carrying capacity of a population is
- Definitions for migration and dispersion
- The population growth formula
- Biotic and abiotic factors in an ecosystem
- Primary and secondary succession
- The significance of species diversity
Studying for an exam becomes easy, convenient and fun using this well-designed refresher chapter. The longest lesson lasts for less than ten minutes, so your progress through the course is rapid and efficient. The timeline feature enables you to study selectively by allowing you to skip sections that are already familiar to you, and the dashboard provides you with a convenient place to keep track of your work.
1. Carrying Capacity of a Population: Definition & Explanation
As population size increases, so does the demand for resources. Carrying capacity helps define the appropriate size of a population based on its environment. The availability of resources has a direct effect on how quickly and how large a population can grow.
2. Carrying Capacity, Migration & Dispersion
Have you ever wondered why some types of birds fly south in the winter or why some animals form territories? Watch this video to learn about a species' maximum growth capabilities, the way its members group themselves and why they might migrate to new locations every year.
3. Calculating Rate and Exponential Growth: The Population Dynamics Problem
You know how the world population keeps increasing? It's increasing faster now than it was 100 or 1,000 years ago. In this lesson, learn how differential equations predict this type of exponential growth.
4. What is Biotic? - Definition, Factors & Examples
In this lesson you will learn about the biotic components in an ecosystem and the biotic factors that affect organisms. You will also have a better understanding about why planet Earth is a pretty special place.
5. Abiotic Factors of an Ecosystem: Definition & Examples
When it comes to ecosystems, a mountain, a river, and a cloud have more in common than you might think. Abiotic factors have specific and important roles in nature because they help shape and define ecosystems.
6. What Is Primary Succession? - Definition & Examples
Changes occur all over the world every day. In ecology, changes in the types of organisms that inhabit an area over time is called succession. In this lesson, we will investigate primary succession.
7. What Is Secondary Succession? - Definition, Examples & Stages
In this lesson, we will investigate the process of secondary succession. Learn about where secondary succession happens, why it happens, how it happens, and what it looks like.
8. What is Species Diversity? - Definition, Importance & Examples
Have you ever wondered how many species live on Earth? Earth is full of amazing creatures. In this lesson, you will learn about the importance of species diversity. At the end, test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards