About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry - Chapter Summary
Brush up on how to conduct research, choose and evaluate resources and work in a science lab safely through these video lessons on scientific inquiry. These video lessons will prepare you to correctly answer MTLE Life Science test questions that ask about:
- How to design and conduct a scientific experiment
- Interpreting and explaining scientific data
- Locating and checking research sources for validity
- How to use scientific instruments and tools
- Practicing safe lab techniques
- Safe use of biological specimens
The video lessons that comprise this prep chapter provide well-researched and well-presented information in an easy to use, readily accessible format. You move through the lessons quickly and easily, with no unnecessary repetition or wasted time. Each video's Timeline allows you to access any section immediately and bypass any parts that you do not need to review.
1. Experimental Design in Science: Definition & Method
What are the requirements of a scientific experiment? How do scientists turn hypotheses into theories and laws? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on the design of scientific experiments.
2. Evaluating Data from Scientific Investigation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the meaning of the terms 'accuracy' and 'reproducibility,' or precision, as they relate to science experiments. A short quiz will follow.
3. Finding & Evaluating Sources for Research
Not everything you read on the Internet is true. This video will help you navigate through different online sources and evaluate the validity of those sources to ensure that you can trust the information you use as part of your research.
4. Scientific Tools and Their Uses
A scientist relies on tools to help make observations, carry out experiments and take measurements. Learn about the scientific tools used in a lab and the advanced tools used by scientists in the life sciences.
5. Laboratory Safety Techniques: Protecting People and Equipment
Laboratory safety is not fun, but following the rules ensures that lab activities can be enjoyed by everyone. In this lesson, we cover some basic lab safety rules to follow that will help lab time be both safe and fun.
6. Working with Biological Specimens Safely in the Lab
Working with biological specimens can be interesting and rewarding. But we need to be careful when handling and disposing of these types of specimens because they do have the potential to do harm both in and out of the lab.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards