About This Chapter
MTLE Life Science: Using Statistics - Chapter Summary
Our experienced instructors created this chapter on using statistics to help you prepare for the MTLE Life Science exam. Some of the topics covered include chi squares and simple linear regression. After this chapter is complete, you should be ready to:
- Calculate mode, median, range and mean
- Find the standard deviation
- Analysis and calculate a chi square
- Define simple linear regression and the formula used to find it
- Follow steps to problem solve using linear regression
- Give the definition and examples of correlation
If you need some review in statistics, this chapter can help you clearly understand key concepts so you're ready to take the MTLE Life Science test. Our video lessons are short, easy to follow and easily navigable using the timeline. You can ask for help with any questions that come up by contacting an expert through the dashboard.
1. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
2. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
3. Chi Square: Definition & Analysis
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of chi square and how it is used to determine whether a null hypothesis should be accepted or rejected. We will work through an example, then you can take a brief quiz to see what you learned.
4. How to Calculate a Chi Square: Formula & Example
In this lesson, you will learn the formula and method for calculating chi square. You can then take a brief quiz to see what you learned. You will learn how to interpret the value of chi square in a separate lesson.
5. Simple Linear Regression: Definition, Formula & Examples
Simple linear regression is a great way to make observations and interpret data. In this lesson, you will learn to find the regression line of a set of data using a ruler and a graphing calculator.
6. Problem Solving Using Linear Regression: Steps & Examples
Linear regression can be a powerful tool for predicting and interpreting information. Learn to use two common formulas for linear regression in this lesson.
7. Correlation: Definition, Analysis & Examples
Correlation describes the relationship between two sets of data. In this lesson, we'll delve into what correlation is and the different types of correlation that can be encountered.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Life Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Life Science: Using Mathematics & Computers
- MTLE Life Science: Teaching Reading Skills
- MTLE Life Science: Cellular Structures & Processes
- MTLE Life Science: Photosynthesis & Cellular Respiration
- MTLE Life Science: Function & Synthesis of Proteins
- MTLE Life Science: Mitosis & Meiosis
- MTLE Life Science: Concepts & Principles of Heredity
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Mutation & Expression
- MTLE Life Science: Gene Technology
- MTLE Life Science: Classification of Living Organisms
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Plants
- MTLE Life Science: Structure & Function of Mammals
- MTLE Life Science: Human Immune System
- MTLE Life Science: Adapting to the Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Genetic Variance & Phenotypic Influences
- MTLE Life Science: Evolutionary Relationship Between Species
- MTLE Life Science: Organisms & Their Environment
- MTLE Life Science: Population & Species Diversity
- MTLE Life Science: Matter & the Flow of Energy
- MTLE Life Science: Behavior of Organisms
- MTLE Life Science Flashcards