About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations - Chapter Summary
The expert instructors in this chapter can help improve your understanding of algebraic expressions and equations. Explore lessons to ensure you're ready for the following on the MTLE Math assessment:
- Demonstrating how to express relationships as algebraic expressions and evaluate simple algebraic expressions
- Showcasing your ability to combine like terms in algebraic expressions and write with inequalities
- Analyzing negative signs, and simplifying algebraic expressions
- Solving equations using the addition and multiplication principles
- Collecting like terms on one side of an equation, and solving equations containing parentheses
- Explaining how to solve one-step and multi-step algebra equations in word problems
- Exhibiting how to solve equations with multiple steps
In this chapter, you can sidestep the tedious process of compiling study materials, and instead enjoy fun lessons presented by quality instructors. Review videos on algebraic expressions and equations from the comfort of your home, or on the go via your mobile devices. If you want to assess your understanding of the lessons in this chapter, feel free to take the practice chapter exam.
1. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
2. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
3. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
4. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
5. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
6. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
7. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
8. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
9. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
10. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
11. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
12. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
13. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
14. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards