About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
In this chapter, we'll be taking a look circles and circle arcs and then exploring some effective techniques for calculating arc length and measuring inscribed angles. Your knowledge can be applied when you're taking the MTLE Mathematics exam. In our Circles & Arc of a Circle chapter, you'll learn about:
- Definition of circular arcs and circles
- Central and inscribed angles
- Measuring an arc
- Calculating the measure of an inscribed angle
- Tangents of circles and related theorems
- Measurements of lengths and angles
- Arc length of a sector
- Calculating arc length and measure
We can show you effective techniques and explain circle concepts in a clear, concise format that's specially tailored to the MTLE Mathematics test. With our expert-narrated video lessons and our self-assessment quizzes, you'll be able to learn at your own pace and focus on the areas you need the most help with.
1. Circular Arcs and Circles: Definitions and Examples
What is a circle? In this lesson, find out all about the circle and its many parts, including circular arcs and semicircles. Also, discover how a locus works in creating a circle, parallel lines and more.
2. Central and Inscribed Angles: Definitions and Examples
When we're working with circles, there are two key angles to know: central angles and inscribed angles. These angles have a few special theorems, which we'll discuss and practice using in this lesson.
3. Measure of an Arc: Process & Practice
What is the measure of an arc? And what is the difference between a minor arc and a major arc? Find out all that and practice finding the measure of an arc in this lesson.
4. How to Find the Measure of an Inscribed Angle
Finding the measure of an inscribed angle requires knowing a little information. In this lesson, we'll find the measure of an inscribed angle when we know the measure of the central angle or one or more of the arcs formed by the angle.
5. Tangent of a Circle: Definition & Theorems
What happens when a line just barely touches a circle? It's a tangent! In this lesson, we'll learn all about tangents to circles, including a few key theorems. We'll also look at tangent circles.
6. Measurements of Angles Involving Tangents, Chords & Secants
When lines and circles meet, angles are formed. Fortunately, we can determine the measure of these angles, whether they're formed by tangents, secants or chords, just by knowing the measure of the created arcs.
7. Measurements of Lengths Involving Tangents, Chords and Secants
The lengths of chords, tangents and secants take on unique relationships when they're drawn on circles. In this lesson, we'll define those relationships and see them in action.
8. Arc Length of a Sector: Definition and Area
In this lesson, we'll slice up a circle like it's a pizza and learn how to find out useful information about our slices. We'll find out the area of these sectors, or pie slices. We'll also learn about arc lengths.
9. Arc Length: Definition & Equation
Arc length is an important aspect to understanding portions of curved lengths. As you will learn in this lesson, combining our knowledge of circumference and central angle measures allows us to find arc length.
10. Arc Measure: Definition & Formula
Arc measure is a way of identifying an arc. In this lesson, we'll learn how to define and calculate arc measure while discussing the different elements involved in this calculation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards