About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Fractions - Chapter Summary
Watch lessons to get the comprehensive overview of fractions you need to competently answer related questions on the MTLE Mathematics assessment. After completing of this chapter, you will ready to:
- Explain how to build, reduce, compare and order fractions
- Describe how to find least common denominators, and define equivalent fractions
- Share how to change between improper fraction and mixed number form
- Discuss how to add and subtract like and unlike fractions and mixed numbers
- Multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers
- Solve complex fractions and problems using fractions and mixed numbers
Take advantage of the many resources this chapter offers to improve your ability to answer questions about fractions on the assessment. You can review entertaining video lessons or their full transcript alternatives, then test your knowledge with short quizzes and a chapter exam. Feel free to revisit key topics in the lessons without watching them in full by using timelines with video tags. If you need clarity on any lesson topic, don't hesitate to submit your questions to our experts.
1. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
2. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
3. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
4. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
5. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
6. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
7. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
8. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
9. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
11. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards