About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Functions - Chapter Summary
Take advantage of this in-depth look at functions, prepared by quality subject matter experts. They have made it possible for you to review text and video lessons from the comfort of your home. This chapter will ensure you're ready for the following on the MTLE Mathematics assessment:
- Understanding the basics and key terms of a function
- Graphing basic functions, and comparing properties of functions graphically and algebraically
- Defining and explaining the rules of the function table in math
- Describing transformations and how to shift graphs on a plane
- Sharing the meaning of domain and range of composite functions
- Getting the gist of and graphing inverse functions
Expert instructors present entertaining lessons that deepen your understanding of functions. Access lesson transcripts you can print and add to your existing study guide for the test. Lesson quizzes are available to reinforce concepts you've explored in the lessons. A practice chapter exam provides you with an even broader review of the lessons.
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
3. Compare Properties of Functions Algebraically
In this lesson, we will explore algebraic and numeric properties and the evaluation of functions. We'll demonstrate function evaluations and the idea that every element of the domain has a unique element in the range.
4. Compare Properties of Functions Graphically
In this lesson, we will cover the characteristics of graphs of functions. We will employ the vertical line test and understand why some graphs do not qualify as functions.
5. Function Table in Math: Definition, Rules & Examples
Functions can be represented in four different ways. In this lesson, we will learn what a function table is, and how and when to use a function table to represent a function. We will also explore the rules that define a given function table.
6. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
7. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
8. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
9. Domain & Range of Composite Functions: Definition & Examples
Learn what makes a function a composite function and also learn how the parts of a composite function determine its domain. Also in this video lesson, learn about the range of composite functions.
10. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
11. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards