About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations - Chapter Summary
This chapter gives you a close look at geometric transformations to help you simplify your studies for the MTLE Mathematics assessment. Watch videos on dilation, rotational symmetry, reflections and more to enhance your ability to do the following on the test:
- Define transformations and translation in math
- Discuss the meaning of dilation in math
- Provide an overview of rotations in math
- Share details about rotational symmetry and reflections
- Describe glide reflection in geometry
- Explain how to identify symmetry graphically, algebraically and numerically about the X-axis, Y-axis and origin
Resources in this chapter make it easy for you to revisit geometric transformations without compiling your own study materials. Enjoy quality presentations from expert instructors who use entertaining visual and audio effects to make studying fun. When ready, you can assess your comprehension of the lessons by taking short quizzes and a chapter exam. Any questions you have about topics in this chapter can be sent to our experts.
1. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
2. What is Translation in Math? - Definition, Examples, & Terms
In mathematics, translation refers to moving an object without changing it in any other way. This lesson will describe how to translate an object and give some examples. A quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
3. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
4. Rotations in Math: Definition & Overview
A geometric rotation refers to the rotating of a figure around a center of rotation. This lesson will get you going on rotations, give you some examples, and end with a quiz that tests your knowledge of rotations.
5. What is Rotational Symmetry? - Definition & Examples
If you have ever tried to hang a picture and not been able to tell which end was up, then your picture might have had rotational symmetry. Rotational symmetry is the characteristic that makes an object look the same even after you've rotated it.
6. Reflections in Math: Definition & Overview
A reflection of an object is a 'flip' of that object across a line. This lesson will describe the basics of reflection, how to recognize one and how to create one.
7. Glide Reflection in Geometry: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we will look at transformations of geometric figures and concentrate on one type of transformation in particular: a glide reflection. Through a definition and examples, we will become comfortable with this type of transformation.
8. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically, and Numerically About the X-axis and Y-axis
When you fold a piece of paper exactly in half, you are creating symmetry. Symmetry is found in many areas of mathematics. In this lesson, learn to recognize symmetry graphically, algebraically, and numerically about the x- and y- axes.
9. Recognizing Symmetry Graphically, Algebraically & Numerically About the Origin
If you look at flowers and fruits, you'll see that many of these items in nature are symmetrical. In this lesson, learn about symmetry about the origin of a graph. When you are finished, test your knowledge with a short quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards