About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors explain the definitions and properties of different angles and line relationships. We'll help you review:
- Parallel line definition and construction
- Graphing perpendicular and parallel lines in equations
- Perpendicular lines and slopes
- Line segments and rays
- Transverse lines
- Right, acute and obtuse angles
- Complementary and supplementary angles
- Vertical, corresponding, alternate interior and other angle types
- Adjacent and congruent angles
This study guide will explain lines and angles in a clear, concise format that is structured specifically to help you study for the MTLE Mathematics examination. With convenient video tags, accurate transcripts and expert instructors at your fingertips, you'll be well on your way to preparing for MTLE Mathematics success.
1. What are Parallel Lines? - Definition & Concept
In this lesson, you will learn about parallel lines and how you can identify and label them. You'll also find out how they are similar to things found in everyday life.
2. Constructing a Parallel Line Using a Point Not on the Given Line
Watch this video lesson, and you will learn how to draw parallel lines with just a compass and a straightedge. Also, learn why you would want to be able to do this in real life.
3. Graphs of Parallel and Perpendicular Lines in Linear Equations
When we deal with linear equations, we sometimes come across equations that are parallel to each other or perpendicular to each other. You will see what they look like when graphed in this video lesson.
4. What are Perpendicular Lines? - Definition & Meaning
Perpendicular lines are shaped like a 'T' and have special properties that non-perpendicular lines don't have. Because of these special properties, it is important to be able to distinguish perpendicular lines from those that aren't. In this lesson, we will explore ways to determine whether or not two lines are perpendicular.
5. Perpendicular Slope: Definition & Examples
Review what perpendicular lines are and what the slope of a line is. Learn about the relationship between slopes of perpendicular lines through definitions and examples.
6. Line Segments & Rays: Definition & Measurement
Watch this video lesson to learn the difference between a line segment and a ray. You will also learn how to measure and add line segments. Learn why you can't measure or add a ray.
7. Parallel, Perpendicular and Transverse Lines
What are the different types of lines? Where are they visible in the real world and how can you recognize them? Find out here and test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. What is a Right Angle? - Definition & Formula
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties that identify right angles. You will also discover where right angles can be found and learn about what makes them so useful. You can then test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. What is an Acute Angle? - Definition, Description & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what makes an angle acute and see a few different examples of them. After the lesson, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
10. What is an Obtuse Angle? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what angles, right angles, and obtuse angles are; you'll see a few examples of different obtuse angles. Test your knowledge with a brief quiz once you've completed the lesson.
11. Complementary Angles: Definition, Theorem & Examples
In this lesson, we will define complementary angles and see how they may appear in diagrams. We will discuss two common theorems that involve complementary angles. Then you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
12. Supplementary Angle: Definition & Theorem
There are many important angle pairs in geometry. In this lesson, we'll learn about supplementary angles, including what they are, where they are used, and why you need to know about them.
13. Types of Angles: Vertical, Corresponding, Alternate Interior & Others
In addition to basic right, acute, or obtuse angles, there are many other types of angles or angle relationships. In this lesson, we will learn to identify these angle relationships and discuss their measurements.
14. What Are Adjacent Angles? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify whether angles are adjacent. After looking at several examples, you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz.
15. Congruent Angles: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll explore the definition of a congruent angle. You'll learn how to draw a congruent angle, explore examples of congruent angles, and test your knowledge with a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards