About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive overview of principles of measurement is designed to help you quickly and easily prepare for the MTLE Mathematics assessment. Once you've reviewed the lessons in this chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand the standard units of measurement for length, weight, time and capacity
- Share how to convert standard units of measure, and perform basic operations with measurements
- Define the metric system, and convert units in the metric system
- Explain unit conversion and dimensional analysis
- Demonstrate how to measure liquid volume and convert Celsius to Fahrenheit and back
- Convert units of time, and take measurements with scales, meters and gauges
- Read and interpret scale drawings, and show your comprehension of accuracy and error in measurements
This chapter provides you with the amazing opportunity to access expert instructors under a flexible schedule of your creation. You can review entertaining videos featuring fun visual and audio effects to boost your knowledge of principles of measurement. A short text lesson offers additional review in measurements. You can study these lessons any time, day or night, and in the order you choose. When you're ready to test your comprehension of this chapter's lessons, take self-assessment quizzes and a practice chapter exam.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles, and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
3. How to Perform Basic Operations with Measurements
In this video lesson, you will learn how measurements are very much like variables when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them. You will also see examples of how they are done.
4. What is the Metric System?
Most of the world relies on the metric system for measuring distance, weight, volume, and time. Watch this video lesson to learn what kinds of measurements are used in the metric system.
5. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
6. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
7. How to Measure Liquid Volume
There are many tools for measuring liquid volume. The tool you use will depend on how much liquid you have to measure and how precise you need to be. Learn how graduated cylinders and burets are used to get accurate liquid volume measurements.
8. Converting Celsius to Fahrenheit and Back
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius measurements of temperature. This will help when you visit the doctor and when you travel to different countries.
9. Converting Units of Time
After watching this video lesson, you will understand the units of time that we use to count time and know how to convert between these units. Learn the one number that you have to multiply and divide by to make your conversions.
10. How to Take Measurements with Scales, Meters & Gauges
In the real world, we take measurements all the time. Measurements are taken when you drive and when you weigh yourself, for example. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take measurements of things that are important.
11. How to Read and Interpret Scale Drawings
Watch this video lesson to learn how scale drawings and legends are used on maps and blueprints. Learn skills that will serve you well when traveling and when looking at the blueprints of a car.
12. Accuracy & Error in Measurements
When making measurements, it is important to be as accurate as possible. In this lesson, learn about what accuracy is and how we measure and quantify exactly how much error there is in a measurement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards