About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
This chapter's lessons can help you prepare for MTLE Mathematics questions on quadratic functions. We'll cover topics such as factoring quadratic equations, completing the square, solving systems of nonlinear equations and many other topics. This chapter will cover:
- Defining parabolas
- Parabolas in standard, intercept and vertex form
- Finding the axis of symmetry
- Multiplying binomials using the FOIL method and the area method
- Factoring quadratic equations
- Solving quadratic trinomials by factoring
- Completing the square
- Quadratic formula
- Solving systems of nonlinear equations
- Graphing and solving quadratic inequalities
- Graphing a system of quadratic inequalities
By following through with this chapter, you'll have a better understanding of quadratic functions and some effective techniques for solving and graphing quadratic inequalities and other related problems. With us, you can learn at your own pace and never have to worry about missing any information. Our videos come with convenient video tags and accurate transcripts, while text lessons have key terms highlighted in bold type. Quizzes at the end of each lesson help you track your progress.
1. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
2. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
3. Find the Axis Of Symmetry: Equation, Formula & Vertex
This lesson discusses how to locate the axis of symmetry of a parabola in the standard x-y coordinate plane. Learn how the vertex of the parabola relates to its axis of symmetry and how to determine the axis of symmetry from a quadratic equation.
4. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
5. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
6. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
7. Solving Quadratic Trinomials by Factoring
Factoring is a quick and easy way to find the solutions to a quadratic trinomial. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use this method to solve your quadratics.
8. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
9. The Quadratic Formula: Definition & Example
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the quadratic formula to solve certain types of problems. Learn what kinds of equations you can solve using this formula as well as how easy it is to use this formula.
10. Solving Systems of Nonlinear Equations in Two Variables
In this lesson, we will take a look at how to solve non-linear systems of equations in two variables by exploring two solving techniques for these types of systems - graphing and substitution.
11. Graphing & Solving Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
When you finish watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph and solve your own quadratic inequality. Learn what steps you need to take and what to watch for.
12. Graphing a System of Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
What is a system of quadratic inequalities? What are the steps to graphing them? Find the answers to these questions by watching this video lesson. When you finish, you will be able to graph these yourself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards