About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to boost your knowledge of learning disabilities, ADHD, IEP and more as you prepare for questions on the MTLE Mathematics exam. Once you've revisited concepts related to the teaching and assessing of diverse learners, you will be ready for the following on the exam:
- Discussing how to educate students who have special needs
- Explaining how to identify children who have learning disabilities
- Identifying teaching tips for the intrapersonal learning style
- Defining attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Providing math strategies for pupils who have learning disabilities
- Describing bilingual education, multicultural education and immersion
- Sharing the meanings of and strategies associated with RTI, CRT and IEP
If you're short on time and are looking for a way to streamline your studies, the resources in this chapter can help. The videos are short, averaging 10 minutes apiece. They're accompanied by timelines you can use to identify and skip to key topics within the lessons. Self-assessment quizzes can help you determine which lessons you already understand and identify those you need to review. These features help you study in the most efficient manner possible.
1. Educating Students with Special Needs
In this lesson, we will explore how to educate students with special needs. We will specifically address how the educational needs of these students are best served if they are in a mainstream classroom being taught alongside their peers.
2. Learning Disabilities: How to Identify Children with a Learning Disability
Identifying children with a learning disability can be tricky because it can be confused with a lack of interest in a school subject. In this lesson, we will look at how learning disabilities can be identified and the three most common learning disabilities: dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyslexia.
3. Intrapersonal Learning Style: Teaching Tips
Some students in your classroom may be intrapersonal learners. This lesson will define what an intrapersonal learning style is and provide tips for teaching students who prefer learning this way.
4. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
5. Math Strategies for Students with Learning Disabilities
All students need strategies to find success in math, including those with learning disabilities. What kind of strategies work best? Read on to find out.
6. Bilingual Education, Immersion & Multicultural Education
Educators use many approaches for second-language instruction. The approaches vary based on the individual needs of the learner, focusing on his or her current language abilities, background, and cultural experiences. This lesson will differentiate between the different types of second-language instruction, including immersion, bilingual education, and multicultural education.
7. What Is Response to Intervention (RTI)? - Tiers & Strategies
The Response to Intervention process, or RTI, was designed and implemented in public schools as an attempt at early intervention for students with exceptional educational needs. In this video, we will look at the basics of this process.
8. Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT): Theory, Research & Strategies
A person's culture can impact their approach to education and the way they learn. In this lesson, we'll examine culturally responsive teaching, a teaching method that takes into account students' cultures to help them succeed.
9. Individualized Education Plan (IEP): Function, Purpose & Guidelines
The Individualized Education Plan is a critical document for children who receive special education services. In this video, we will take a brief look at the development and function of this important document.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards