About This Chapter
MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Identities - Chapter Summary
Let us help you review for the MTLE Mathematics exam by delving into trigonometric identities. Use the engaging video lessons in this chapter to refresh your knowledge of the following:
- Basic trigonometric identities and their alternative forms
- Pythagorean and reciprocal identities
- Double-angle and half-angle identities
- Product-to-sum and sum-to-product identities
- Verifying identity equations
- Using sum and difference identities
The lessons in this chapter provide you with several methods for learning. A video is included with each lesson that visually explains the material. The video's transcript is also included for text-based learning. You can take a self-assessment quiz after each lesson to test your knowledge. If you'd like to review a particular portion of the lesson, utilize the timeline below the video for easy navigation.
1. Trigonometric Identities: Definition & Uses
After watching this video lesson, you will understand what a trigonometric identity is. You will also know the different kinds of identities you will come across.
2. List of the Basic Trig Identities
There are specific trig functions that have very special and very simple relationships with each other. Learn the main one and how you can use it to understand the others.
3. Alternate Forms of Trigonometric Identities
After watching this video lesson, you will know some of the alternate forms of the basic trigonometric identities. You will also learn how to use these alternate forms.
4. Pythagorean Identities: Uses & Applications
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to spot the Pythagorean identities when you see them. You will also learn how these identities can help you solve more complicated trig problems.
5. Reciprocal Identities: Uses & Applications
Trigonometry is full of identities, a set of which are called the reciprocal identities. Watch this video lesson to learn what they are and how you can use them to help you solve problems.
6. Double-Angle Identities: Uses & Applications
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the double-angle identities in trigonometry to help you prove and solve more complicated trigonometry problems.
7. Half-Angle Identities: Uses & Applications
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use half-angle identities to help you simplify your trig problems and also to help you prove other trig statements.
8. Product-to-Sum Identities: Uses & Applications
After watching this video lesson, you will know what the four product-to-sum identities are. You will also know how they are used. You will also see two examples of problems.
9. Sum-to-Product Identities: Uses & Applications
In this video lesson, you will learn about the four sum-to-product identities for the sine and cosine functions. Learn how to go from the sum or subtraction of two functions to the product of two functions along with the two angles.
10. Verifying a Trigonometric Equation Identity
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use your basic definitions and identities to help you prove a trigonometric equation identity. Learn what is involved and what to do for a successful answer.
11. Applying the Sum & Difference Identities
Watch this video lesson to learn the six sum and difference identities for the trig functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. Also, learn how you can use them to your advantage when solving tough trig problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Mathematics: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Operations with Real Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Fractions
- MTLE Mathematics: Decimals
- MTLE Mathematics: Percents
- MTLE Mathematics: Ratios, Rates & Proportions
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning & Problem Solving
- MTLE Mathematics: Complex Numbers
- MTLE Mathematics: Sequences & Series
- MTLE Mathematics: Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Algebraic Expressions & Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Vector Operations
- MTLE Mathematics: Matrices in Linear Algebra
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Linear Inequalities
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadratic Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Polynomial Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Rational Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Radical Expressions
- MTLE Mathematics: Absolute Value Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Continuity & Limits
- MTLE Mathematics: Rate of Change & Derivatives
- MTLE Mathematics: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- MTLE Mathematics: Trigonometric Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- MTLE Mathematics: Principles of Measurement
- MTLE Mathematics: Area & Perimeter
- MTLE Mathematics: Surface Area & Volume
- MTLE Mathematics: Foundations of Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Lines & Angles
- MTLE Mathematics: Properties of Triangles
- MTLE Mathematics: Similar & Congruent Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Right Triangle Proofs
- MTLE Mathematics: Quadrilaterals & Polygons
- MTLE Mathematics: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- MTLE Mathematics: Coordinate Geometry
- MTLE Mathematics: Geometric Transformations
- MTLE Mathematics: Parametric, Polar & Vector Functions
- MTLE Mathematics: Organizing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Summarizing & Analyzing Data
- MTLE Mathematics: Random Sampling
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability
- MTLE Mathematics: Probability Distributions
- MTLE Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics
- MTLE Mathematics: Mathematical Connections & Communication
- MTLE Mathematics: From Words to Equations, Expressions & Graphs
- MTLE Mathematics: Content Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Mathematics: Instructional Design & Delivery
- MTLE Mathematics: Teaching & Assessing Diverse Learners
- MTLE Mathematics Flashcards