About This Chapter
MTLE Middle Level Science: Basic Genetics - Chapter Summary
With this chapter, let our experience instructors help you get up to speed on basic genetics before taking the MTLE Middle Level Science exam. Study key concepts, such as the effects of mutations and heredity, and the difference between x and y chromosomes, to prepare for test day. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify disorders related to x and y chromosomes and their structure
- Discuss physical traits in relation to genetics
- Understand the impact of heredity and its link in chromosomes
- Define what phenotypes are
- Determine what causes mutations
This course is self-paced, giving you the ability to learn at your own speed. If you need help, our subject matter experts are available to answer questions via the Dashboard. Use the timeline tags to go back to specific points in the videos if you would like to review the material again. After watching each lesson, make sure to take the self-assessment quiz to evaluate your knowledge and ensure you are ready to take the exam with confidence!
1. X Chromosome: Definition & Disorders
In humans, the X chromosome is one example of a sex chromosome. If you are a girl, you have two X chromosomes. If you are a boy, you have only one X chromosome. Learn more about the X chromosome and disorders associated with it in this lesson.
2. Y Chromosome: Definition, Disorders & Structure
The Y chromosome is found in males and is one of two chromosomes that determine gender. This article focuses on the Y chromosome, the genes it contains, and disorders that are related to this structure in men.
3. Genetic Physical Traits: Definition & Examples
This lesson describes the relationship between genetics and physical traits. It details the relationship between DNA and physical form. Also included are real-world examples, illustrations, and a brief quiz.
4. Genetics: Heredity, Traits & Chromosomes
We view manipulation of genes in our crops and livestock as a recent development. Yet, man has been manipulating the genetic makeup of his food for thousands of years through cultivation and breeding. This lesson will begin to help you understand how genetics works.
5. What Is a Phenotype? - Definition & Example
Do you have blue eyes or brown eyes, or something else, like hazel? That's your phenotype for eye color. Discover examples of phenotypes, and how they are (partly) determined by your genes.
6. Mutations: When DNA Is Copied Wrong
In this lesson, we will learn how mutations, or errors in DNA, come about, what kinds of effects they may have, and how they can impact populations as a whole.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Scientific Methods & Tools
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Connecting Science & Other Subjects
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Applications of Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Components & Evolution of Earth
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Matter & Energy
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Structures & Functions of Living Organisms
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Molecular & Cellular Life Processes
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Interdependence, Energy Flow & Ecosystems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Classification in Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Linear Motion & Forces
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Vibrations & Waves
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Overview of Light
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Properties & Structure of Matter
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Understanding Chemical Reactions, Thermodynamics & Kinetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science Flashcards