About This Chapter
MTLE Middle Level Science: Components and Evolution of Earth - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes text and video lessons that are designed to teach learners about the layers, rocks and oceans that make up our planet. Get information about the Earth's origins as well as its valleys and mountains. You can also discover what goes on during a volcanic eruption while you prepare to correctly answer questions on the MTLE Middle Level Science examination. Use this chapter's lessons for help with:
- Exploring theories on the Earth's creation
- Identifying major types of rocks
- Understanding how heat can cause the metamorphosis of rocks
- Discussing the formation of volcanic landforms
- Explaining how rift valleys and ocean basins are formed over time
- Describing different types of mountains and fossils
- Recognizing rock strata and its significance
- Understanding the usefulness of radioactive isotopes
Even if you have a good amount of knowledge of the above topics, you can utilize this chapter as an extra resource that helps to prepare you to pass the MTLE Middle Level Science examination. The online video lessons are animated and narrated by seasoned educators, while the text lessons focus more on the written word. Both lesson types include five-question quizzes. Access either lesson format on your laptop or mobile device.
MTLE Middle Level Science: Components and Evolution of Earth Chapter Objectives
Subtest 1 and Subtest 2 of the MTLE Middle Level Science examination both consist of 50 multiple-choice questions. You'll have a one-hour time limit to complete each of them. The subtests have two subsections apiece. The second subsection of Subtest 1 is titled Earth and Space Systems. When you're working on these questions in particular, you can apply your knowledge of ocean systems, volcanoes, various rock forms and more. Earth and Space Systems is equal to 57% of the subtest weighting.
1. Formation of the Earth: Theories
In this lesson, the theory of how the planet Earth formed will be discussed. This includes looking at how it differentiated into three layers, how it formed its atmosphere, water, and land features, and how it continues to evolve today.
2. Rock Cycle: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic Rocks
In this lesson, we will discuss the three main types of rocks and how they are formed. The lesson also gives an introduction into how matter locked in rocks can be cycled through the earth.
3. Metamorphism of Rocks: Definition, Process & Influencing Factors
Exposure to intense heat and pressure can result in the metamorphism of previously formed rocks. Learn about the factors that influence metamorphism and the metamorphic processes: recrystallization, neometamorphism and metasomatism in this lesson.
4. Volcanic Landforms: Types & Formation
Volcanic eruptions pull materials up from deep within the earth to form various volcanic landforms, such as lava domes, lava plateaus, fissure eruptions, craters and calderas. Learn about these volcanic landforms and how they are created.
5. Rift Valley: Definition & Facts
Rift valleys are created slowly, but they are literally earth-shattering. In this lesson you will learn about the powerful forces that create them, their special features, and aspects about the world's largest rift valleys.
6. Ocean Basins: Definition, Formation, Features & Types
Ocean basins are those areas found under the sea. They can be relatively inactive areas where deposits of sediment slowly collect or active areas where tectonic plates meet. Learn how ocean basins form and about features such as oceanic ridges and trenches.
7. The Processes of Mountain Building
In this video lesson, you will learn about the process of mountain building. You will identify different ways that mountains form, as well as the different types of mountains that result from this process.
8. Rock Strata: Definition & Explanation
Rock strata are found almost everywhere, even on the tops of mountains. In this lesson, we'll learn what rock strata look like, how they form, and their importance to geologists. Then you can test your knowledge with a short quiz.
9. Fossil Evidence: Definition & Overview
Fossils are critical tools in science because they give us clues to the types of plants and animals that lived on Earth in the past. In this lesson, you will learn about the types of fossils and how they were formed.
10. How Radioactive Isotopes Track Biological Molecules
Radioactive isotopes can be used to track atoms and label biological molecules. This lesson explores how this can be applied to microbiology to learn more about the way a cell works.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Scientific Methods & Tools
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Connecting Science & Other Subjects
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Matter & Energy
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Structures & Functions of Living Organisms
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Molecular & Cellular Life Processes
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Interdependence, Energy Flow & Ecosystems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Linear Motion & Forces
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Vibrations, Waves & Light
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Properties & Structure of Matter
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Understanding Chemical Reactions, Thermodynamics & Kinetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science Flashcards