About This Chapter
MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills - Chapter Summary
As the day of your MTLE Middle Level Science exam draws near, refresh your memory by exploring information that will be included. This chapter discusses key concepts and approaches associated with effective scientific reading instruction. Simple-to-follow video lessons will walk you through the following topics:
- Scientific vocabulary
- Reading skills in science
- Science instructional strategies
- Reading level assessment strategies
- Teach reading to students who have cultural and ethnic differences
- Scaffolding reading instruction strategies
- Organizational structures of reading selections
You'll find it easy to navigate through the lessons. The timeline feature will let you jump around to key points within the video and the transcript of the content is littered with important terms that are in bold print. You'll also be able to check your understanding of the material at the end of every lesson by taking a practice quiz before moving on.
MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills Chapter Objectives
The MTLE middle level science exam includes two subtests, each of which must be passed in order to achieve your licensure. Both of the subtests contain around 50 multiple-choice questions that you'll be given an hour to complete. This chapter can assist you in your preparation for the 'Concepts and Applications in Middle Grade General Science' subarea of the first subtest, which contains a section of questions centered on developing students' content-area reading skills. Overall, this subarea will make up 43% of your score on the first subtest.
1. Science Vocabulary & Concepts: Study Skills & Word Parts
Learning science presents a unique set of challenges for students. In this lesson, learn the tricks of the trade as we discuss scientific vocabulary and other science study skills.
2. Developing Science Reading Skills
Strategies to improve reading skills must be incorporated into the science classroom. This lesson will examine the role of student ability, vocabulary comprehension, and the presentation of material.
3. Instructional Strategies for Science Lessons
Having the skills to read science texts is vital to students' success. How can teachers plan instruction so all students learn scientific concepts? This lesson will teach instructional strategies for all learners.
4. Methods for Determining Students' Reading Level
Assessment is essential. All students are at different reading levels and abilities. Watch this video lesson to learn ways to assess the reading level of your students.
5. Cultural, Ethnic & Linguistic Relationships to Reading Development
All students have different backgrounds to bring to the classroom. This video lesson addresses some things to consider in a reading classroom with regards to students of different cultures.
6. Strategies for Scaffolding Reading Instruction
Ever heard the phrase 'reading is the gateway to all learning'? Reading is one of the areas targeted by most states for assessment because it not only is a critical area in academics, but also an area where most students were not showing gains. This lesson will highlight strategies to help struggling readers develop skills to be successful in the classroom.
7. Identifying the Organization in a Reading Selection
Nonfiction texts can be organized in a variety of ways. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to identify which organizational structure is being used in a reading selection.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Scientific Methods & Tools
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Connecting Science & Other Subjects
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Applications of Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Components & Evolution of Earth
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Matter & Energy
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Structures & Functions of Living Organisms
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Molecular & Cellular Life Processes
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Basic Genetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Interdependence, Energy Flow & Ecosystems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Classification in Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Linear Motion & Forces
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Vibrations & Waves
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Overview of Light
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Properties & Structure of Matter
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Understanding Chemical Reactions, Thermodynamics & Kinetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science Flashcards