About This Chapter
MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will review the origin of the universe, the structure of our galaxy, and the orbit of Earth to help you study for the MTLE Middle Level Science exam. You will explore:
- Kinds of stars
- The galaxy
- Theories on the origins of the universe
- Parts of the sun
- Planets, comets and Earth's moon
- Our solar system
- Earth's axis and orbit
- The four seasons
- Angle and movement of the sun
The lessons in this chapter have been developed to provide you several methods for learning. Each lesson contains a short video to help illustrate the material, with the video's transcript is included for text-based learning. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge. If you would like to review a certain portion of the lesson, use the timeline provided below each video for easy navigation.
MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe - Objectives
The MTLE Middle Level Science exam is administered to educators who are hoping to teach science courses to middle school students in Minnesota. The exam is comprised of two subtests, with each subtest covering two areas of content. The material reviewed in this chapter prepares you for questions related to earth and space systems on Subtest 1. This content area accounts for 57% of the total score on this subtest.
Each of the two subtests of the MTLE Middle Level Science exam have approximately 50 multiple-choice questions. You will have one hour to complete each subtest, and can take them on the same day or on separate occasions. A score of 240 or higher is required on each subtest to qualify for certification.
1. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
2. Galaxy: Definition & Explanation
Galaxies are collections of stars, dust, and gas rotating around super massive black holes. This lesson will cover the structures and types of galaxies, including spiral, elliptical, and irregular galaxies.
3. Origins of the Universe: The Big Bang and Expanding & Contracting Universes
Students will learn the origins of the universe, the Big Bang theory, the timeline of the universe, how the universe is still expanding to this day, and what astronomers expect the universe to look like in the future.
4. Structure of the Sun
Discover the layers of the sun, including the core, radiative zone, convective zone, photosphere, chromosphere, and corona. Find out which layers you can see from Earth. Investigate what sunspots and solar flares are.
5. What are Planets? - Facts & Definition
In this lesson, you'll learn the official definition of a planet, how planets are formed, and about the two types of planets found in our solar system: terrestrial planets and gas giants.
6. Comets: Origin & Properties
This lesson will define and discuss comets, a coma, dust tail, gas tail, sublimation, the composition of comets and their origins in the Oort cloud and Kuiper belt.
7. About the Moon: Phases & Facts
Have you ever wondered if the moon is made of cheese? Learn the truth about the world's most famous satellite in this lesson packed with basic stats, orbit info, phase details, and other fun facts.
8. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
9. Earth's Axial Tilt & Orbit Around the Sun
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the Earth's orbit around the Sun, including the orbital plane, its eccentricity, and axial tilt. A short quiz will follow.
10. Geography of the Four Seasons
This lesson will explain how the earth's axis and rotation affect seasons. In doing this, it will also highlight the concept of the summer and winter solstices, as well as how seasons vary around the globe.
11. The Sun's Angle & Movement
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how the Sun's movement in the sky varies with the seasons and how that relates to the length of each day. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Scientific Methods & Tools
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Connecting Science & Other Subjects
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Applications of Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Components & Evolution of Earth
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Matter & Energy
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Structures & Functions of Living Organisms
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Molecular & Cellular Life Processes
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Basic Genetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Interdependence, Energy Flow & Ecosystems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Classification in Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Linear Motion & Forces
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Vibrations & Waves
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Overview of Light
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Properties & Structure of Matter
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Understanding Chemical Reactions, Thermodynamics & Kinetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science Flashcards