About This Chapter
MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will explore the Earth's surface. You will also review a variety of Earth's patterns and cycles. After completing this chapter, you will have examined:
- Plate tectonics
- Processes that shape the Earth's surface
- The water cycle
- Global warming
- The atmospheric cycle
The lessons have been specially developed by professionals to help you easily grasp and retain the information. Each lesson contains a video to visually exhibit the material being covered. You'll also find the video's transcript included for text-based learning. You can take a self-assessment quiz to apply what you've learned. If you need to review a portion of the lesson again, utilize the timeline below the video for easy navigation.
MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles - Objectives
The MTLE Middle Level Science exam is administered to educators in Minnesota who are hoping to become certified to teach science courses to middle school students. The exam is comprised of two subtests, and each subtest focuses on two main areas of content. The information reviewed in this chapter will prepare you for questions related to Earth and space systems. This content area accounts for 57% of the total score on Subtest 1.
Each of the MTLE Middle Level Science exam's subtests contain about 50 multiple-choice questions. You can take the subtests on the same day or schedule them separately. You will have one hour to complete each subtest. You will need a score of 240 or higher on each subtest to qualify for certification.
1. Weathering: Definition & Explanation
Discover how rocks and minerals are broken down by chemical and mechanical forms of weathering. Learn about some of the many geological formations created by weathering, from large caves to beautiful arches made of rock.
2. Erosion: Definition, Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we'll define erosion and discuss the causes of erosion such as wind, water, glaciers, and people. Furthermore, we'll discuss how these factors effect landforms on the earth's surface.
3. Plate Tectonics: Theory & Definition
Plate tectonics describes the internal workings of our planet. Using it allows geologists to explain a wide range of geologic features and processes. You will learn the basics about the theory in this lesson.
4. The Dynamic Earth: Internal & External Forces that Shape Earth's Surface
There are many geologic processes that shape the surface of the Earth. Not only do they build and destroy a variety of landscapes, but they also give us clues to the interior of the Earth and the forces that exist there.
5. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
6. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
7. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Scientific Methods & Tools
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Connecting Science & Other Subjects
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Components & Evolution of Earth
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Matter & Energy
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Structures & Functions of Living Organisms
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Molecular & Cellular Life Processes
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Interdependence, Energy Flow & Ecosystems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Linear Motion & Forces
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Vibrations, Waves & Light
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Properties & Structure of Matter
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Understanding Chemical Reactions, Thermodynamics & Kinetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science Flashcards