About This Chapter
MTLE Middle Level Science: Electricity and Magnetism - Chapter Summary
Review this chapter before you go on to take the MTLE Middle Level Science exam. The chapter breaks down several key concepts and terms involved in the functioning of electricity and magnetism, such as the poles and dipoles, Coulomb's law, electric potential and how to calculate electrostatic potential energy. By the time you finish these lessons, you'll be better prepared to do the following
- Define the electron shell
- Define positive and negative charge
- Explain magnets and the magnetic field
- Summarize how magnetic forces affect moving charges
- Describe a solenoid
- Analyze electric circuits, including series circuits
- Detail electric charge and force
- Assess electric field and the movement of a charge
You'll find it easy to manage your studying by using the convenient dashboard feature, which gives you a place to quick-view all of your activity. There are links to quizzes, and you'll have the option of asking questions of our subject experts if ever you get stuck.
1. Electric Charge and Force: Definition, Repulsion & Attraction
Have you ever wondered what electricity is and where it comes from? Have you ever been zapped by static electricity and wondered how it got there? We'll answer all of these questions in this lesson on electric charge and force!
2. Electric Field & the Movement of Charge
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what an electric field is, draw electric field lines and vectors for charged particles, and complete calculations involving electric fields. A short quiz will follow.
3. What Is Electric Potential? - Definition & Formula
In this lesson, discover what electric potential is and how we measure it. Learn about the scientist Alessandro Volta and why his work led us to name a unit of measurement after him.
4. Calculating Electrostatic Potential Energy: Formula & Examples
A system of charges can have electrostatic potential energy due to where each charge is located relative to the others. In this lesson, learn about electrostatic potential energy and how to calculate it.
5. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
6. Coulomb's Law: Variables Affecting the Force Between Two Charged Particles
In the 18th century, Charles Coulomb uncovered the secrets of electrostatic force between charged particles. The results of his experiments led to what is now known as Coulomb's Law, which tells us how force, charge, and distance are all related.
7. The Electron Shell
You may be familiar with the role of electrons in electrical devices, but did you know that electrons also determine the chemical reactivity of everything around you?
8. Positive Charge: Definition & Overview
Positive charges cause your hair to stand up on a cold day and can give you a shock when you touch a doorknob, but they also are responsible for holding atoms together. In this lesson, we'll learn what creates a positive charge and how it interacts with negative charges.
9. Negative Charge: Definition & Overview
There are two types of charge, positive and negative. In this lesson, you will learn about how negative charges were assigned to electrons. You will also learn about the properties of negative charges and how they affect other objects near them.
10. What is a Magnet? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what a magnet is and how it works at the atomic level. You'll also see how the earth's magnetic field works. A short quiz will follow.
11. What is a Magnetic Field?
Magnetic fields fill the space around all magnets, but they're impossible to detect with our own senses. We'll use a common tool to map out a magnetic field and then discuss ferromagnetic materials to see how a magnetic field can be used to create new magnets.
12. How Magnetic Forces Affect Moving Charges
A magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charged particle in ways that you might not expect. In this lesson, we're going to look at the direction of this force and the factors that affect its strength.
13. What is Solenoid? - Definition, Uses & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what a solenoid is, how it relates to electromagnets, and how it is used in a few real-life situations. A short quiz will follow.
14. Electric Circuit Fundamentals: Components & Types
Electric circuits can be configured to power several loads, such as light bulbs, in series or in parallel. In this lesson, we'll look at both types of circuits and see how the voltage, current, and resistance are affected by installing additional loads.
15. Series Circuits: Definition & Concepts
When you flip a switch to turn your lights on, you are completing a circuit and providing a pathway for electrons to flow. In this lesson, you'll learn how connecting devices in a series along that circuit affects the current and resistance throughout.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Scientific Methods & Tools
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Connecting Science & Other Subjects
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Applications of Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Components & Evolution of Earth
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Matter & Energy
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Structures & Functions of Living Organisms
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Molecular & Cellular Life Processes
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Basic Genetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Interdependence, Energy Flow & Ecosystems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Classification in Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Linear Motion & Forces
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Vibrations & Waves
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Overview of Light
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Properties & Structure of Matter
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Understanding Chemical Reactions, Thermodynamics & Kinetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science Flashcards