About This Chapter
MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life - Chapter Summary
Let us help you review theories of the origin of life on Earth and study the ways species have evolved over time. By the end of this chapter, you will have reviewed:
- Origin of life theories
- Natural selection and how species adapt
- Kinds of natural selection
- Types of evolutionary change
- Life cycles
- Species diversity
- Allopatric and sympatric speciation
- Pre- and postzygotic barriers to speciation
Each of the lessons provide you several methods for preparing for these types of questions on the MTLE Middle Level Science exam. You'll find a short video that helps illustrate the material. A transcript of the video is also included for text-based learning. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge and see if you need to review any of the material. If you'd like to watch a portion of the lesson again, use the timeline below each video for easy navigation.
MTLE Middle Level Science: Evolution of Life - Objectives
The MTLE Middle Level Science exam is administered to educators in Minnesota who want certification to teach science courses to middle school students. The exam consists of two subtests, and each subtest covers two main areas of content. The material reviewed in this chapter will prepare you for questions related to life science on Subtest 2. This content area accounts for 45% of Subtest 2's score.
The MTLE Middle Level Science exam's two subtests each contain approximately 50 multiple-choice questions. You will have one hour to complete each subtest and you can take both of them on the same day or on separate occasions. You will need a score of 240 on each of the subtests to qualify for professional certification.
1. Theories of Evolution: Lamarck vs. Darwin
We'll look at the interplay between population genetics and environment. Are traits individually acquired or do entire populations evolve? The flying hamsters and a few other notable experiments will provide the answers.
2. The Origin of Life on Earth: Theories and Explanations
Ever wonder how living things came from non-living things? We will explore what conditions on early Earth may have created life from non-living items.
3. Natural Selection & Adaptation: Definition, Theory & Examples
How does natural selection help shape the amazing types of animals we witness around us? In this lesson, we'll explore adaptations and what they can tell us about a species' past evolution.
4. Natural Selection: Definition, Types & Examples
We'll take a look at the types of natural selection that can occur. From flying hamsters to moths, you'll start to grasp the different paths organisms can take as they respond to their changing environments over time.
5. Evolutionary Change: Definition and Forms
You've probably heard of Charles Darwin and evolution. We know that evolution is change over time, but here we will look at how these changes may have occurred during Earth's history.
6. What is a Life Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of 'life cycle' and find out about the three basic stages of a life cycle. You'll also explore examples of different life cycles.
7. What is Species Diversity? - Definition, Importance & Examples
Have you ever wondered how many species live on Earth? Earth is full of amazing creatures. In this lesson, you will learn about the importance of species diversity. At the end, test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. What Is an Ecosystem? - Definition & Explanation
Similar to a car engine that is made up of multiple parts working together, an ecosystem has interacting parts that support a whole. But how do we define an ecosystem and what are the components they consist of?
9. What Is a Biome? - Definition & Types
If you travel around the world, you can visit dry deserts with lots of cacti, the cold arctic with little plant life, or humid tropical rainforests. These different regions on Earth are all called biomes. Continue reading to learn about different types of biomes.
10. Speciation: Allopatric and Sympatric Speciation
Discover the definition of a species and learn more about how species split. Find out common terms related to the splitting of species and study what role polyploidy plays in the development of a species.
11. Prezygotic Reproductive Barriers & Speciation: Definition & Examples
We may take for granted why animals choose to mate with other animals of similar appearance, but it's not that simple. There are actually biological barriers to reproduction that can prevent even seemingly closely related species from reproducing. This lesson looks at one such category of hindrances, prezygotic barriers, which make fertilization impossible.
12. Postzygotic Reproductive Barriers: Definition & Examples
Do flying hamsters represent a separate species from your run-of-the-mill hamsters? We'll get to the bottom of this by performing crosses between the two hamster types. You'll explore postzygotic reproductive barriers and their possibly tragic consequences.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Principles of Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Scientific Methods & Tools
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Connecting Science & Other Subjects
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Applications of Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Developing Science Reading Skills
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Components & Evolution of Earth
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Matter & Energy
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth's Structure & Weather Cycles
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Earth, The Solar System & The Universe
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Human Interactions with Earth Systems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Structures & Functions of Living Organisms
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Molecular & Cellular Life Processes
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Basic Genetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Interdependence, Energy Flow & Ecosystems
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Classification in Science
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Linear Motion & Forces
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Vibrations & Waves
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Overview of Light
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Electricity & Magnetism
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Properties & Structure of Matter
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Understanding Chemical Reactions, Thermodynamics & Kinetics
- MTLE Middle Level Science Flashcards