About This Chapter
MTLE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology - Chapter Summary
You can use the lessons in this chapter as a comprehensive guide to the anatomy and physiology of the human body. You'll explore major systems and their functions as you study for these types of questions on the MTLE Physical Education exam. In particular, you'll review:
- Skeletal and muscular system
- Circulatory system
- Cardiovascular system
- Respiratory system and gas exchange
- Nervous system
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal tract
- Relationship between body systems
The lessons in this chapter have been formulated to help you easily absorb and retain the information. Most lessons include a short video to help illustrate the material. You can refer to the transcript of the video for text-based learning. At the end of each lesson, you can take a self-assessment quiz to apply what you've learned and practice for the exam.
1. Skeletal System and Muscular System
Do you know how many bones are in the human body? Check out this video lesson to uncover the answer, as well as understand the role and importance of the skeletal and muscular systems.
2. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
3. What is the Cardiovascular System? - Function & Organs
Your cardiovascular system never stops! Your heart beats many times each minute to circulate blood throughout your body. In this lesson, learn about your heart and the rest of your cardiovascular system.
4. Gas Exchange in the Human Respiratory System
Did you know that the average human lung has a respiratory surface area that is roughly the same size as half of a tennis court? Believe it or not, that's how much surface area an active, healthy human needs to ensure that the body gets plenty of oxygen.
5. Nervous System Overview: Central & Peripheral
What happens in your nervous system when you react to stimuli? Did you know that the brain is sometimes uninvolved with reflexes? Find out the answer to these questions, and more, in this lesson on the human nervous system.
6. Digestive System I: The Upper Gastrointestinal Tract
Did you know that there are digestive enzymes in your saliva? It's true. As soon as you put a piece of food in your mouth, the digestive process begins. Join us with this first of two lessons about the human digestive system, where we'll follow food through the upper gastrointestinal tract from the mouth through the stomach.
7. Digestive System II: The Lower Gastrointestinal Tract
The lower gastrointestinal tract is the part of the digestive system that is responsible for the last part of food digestion and the expulsion of waste from the body. In this lesson, we'll look at each part of the system and what functions each serves in the process of digestion.
8. Interaction Among Body Systems & Movement
In this lesson we discuss how body systems interact to create movement. We explain how the eleven body systems are indeed interdependent and interconnected and how they actually work together in unison.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Motor Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Human Movement
- MTLE Physical Education: Individual, Dual & Team Sports
- MTLE Physical Education: Softball Rules & Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Soccer History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Swimming Skills & Benefits
- MTLE Physical Education: Tennis Rules & Techniques
- MTLE Physical Education: History and Rules of Track & Field
- MTLE Physical Education: Volleyball History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Leisure & Cooperative Activities
- MTLE Physical Education: Rhythmic Movement, Dance & Gymnastics
- MTLE Physical Education: Fitness & Positive Behavior
- MTLE Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MTLE Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTLE Physical Education: Basic Nutritional Principles
- MTLE Physical Education: Lifelong Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Program Goals & Administration
- MTLE Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTLE Physical Education: Assessments
- MTLE Physical Education: Subject-Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Injury Prevention & Safety
- MTLE Physical Education Flashcards