About This Chapter
MTLE Physical Education: Growth & Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you simplify the process of studying for the MTLE Physical Education assessment by refreshing your knowledge of growth and development. Get reacquainted with cognitive development, social development, physical growth and more by reviewing entertaining lessons. Doing so will enable you to:
- Define physical, cognitive, social and emotional development
- Detail motor, sensory and brain development in the first two years of life and explain the social development of infants
- Discuss social, physical, and cognitive development in children
- Describe physical growth and changes in cognitive development in adolescence
- Share details about physical development, health and life influences on cognitive development in early adulthood
- Provide information about the social development of adults
- Explain factors influencing growth and development
- Share information about abnormal human development
Take advantage of the flexibility this chapter offers, making the process of studying for the assessment simple. Boost your knowledge of growth and development by reviewing lessons in video or transcript format any time, day or night, from your computer or mobile device. You can also explore the lessons in any sequence and revisit them as many times as needed until you comprehend the materials. If you need additional details about a lesson topic, feel free to submit your questions to our experts.
1. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
2. What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
People grow and develop in many different ways and in many different areas. In this lesson, we'll look closer at three types of human development: cognitive, social, and emotional development.
3. Motor, Sensory & Brain Development in the First Two Years of Life
Babies grow and change so much in the first two years of life, and many of those changes are directly tied to the brain and its key functions. In this lesson, we'll look at brain, motor and sensory development in infants.
4. Social Development of Infants: Stages of Self and Temperament
When do infants start gaining self-awareness? We will explore the stages infants go through as they increase their knowledge of themselves. We will also look into the typical temperaments of infants.
5. Physical Development in Early Childhood
Between the ages of two and seven, children grow and develop dramatically. Watch this lesson to look at some of the physical developments in early childhood, including balance, fine motor coordination and brain development.
6. Cognitive Development in Children: Conservation, Decentration & Centration
As children grow, so do their thinking skills, knowledge, and learning. Watch this lesson to learn about how young children develop cognitively, including the key cognitive concepts of centration, decentration, and conservation.
7. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
8. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
9. Social Development of Children: Self-Esteem
The social development of children has a strong influence on self-esteem. In this lesson, we will explore the way children feel about themselves and look into several ways caretakers can improve a child's self-esteem.
10. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
11. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
12. Social Development of Adults: Self Concept
How would an adult think about his or her self-concept? In this lesson, we'll take a look at what makes up self-concept in adulthood, its changes over time, and how it relates to self-esteem and self-image.
13. Factors Influencing Growth & Development
There are numerous factors that play various roles in our growth and development. This lesson looks at the main categories of factors and specific examples of their impact on growth and development.
14. Abnormal Human Development: Definition & Examples
Abnormal development occurs when a person develops an unusual pattern of behavior, emotion or thought. In this lesson, you will learn what abnormal development is, how it is determined and examine different examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Physical Education: Motor Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Human Movement
- MTLE Physical Education: Individual, Dual & Team Sports
- MTLE Physical Education: Softball Rules & Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Soccer History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Swimming Skills & Benefits
- MTLE Physical Education: Tennis Rules & Techniques
- MTLE Physical Education: History and Rules of Track & Field
- MTLE Physical Education: Volleyball History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Leisure & Cooperative Activities
- MTLE Physical Education: Rhythmic Movement, Dance & Gymnastics
- MTLE Physical Education: Fitness & Positive Behavior
- MTLE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MTLE Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MTLE Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTLE Physical Education: Basic Nutritional Principles
- MTLE Physical Education: Lifelong Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Program Goals & Administration
- MTLE Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTLE Physical Education: Assessments
- MTLE Physical Education: Subject-Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Injury Prevention & Safety
- MTLE Physical Education Flashcards