About This Chapter
MTLE Physical Education: Individual, Dual & Team Sports - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to study for content related to individual, dual, and team sports on the MTLE Physical Education test. Each lesson in this chapter guides you through an important element of P.E. planning and instruction, such as promoting the physical, social, and emotional well-being of students through sports. By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Plan and organize sports and recreational activities
- Outline competences in various sports and recreational activities
- Explain the lifelong benefits of participating in physical activities and sports
- Apply general safety rules and procedures for P.E. classrooms
- Plan and develop sport and game skills with elementary students
- Detail the skills involved in racquet sports
- Describe skills used in basketball, baseball, and football
- Apply rules and safety precautions related to each sport or activity
Our qualified instructors provide expert guidance through the lessons in this chapter. Be sure to take the accompanying quizzes to self-assess your readiness for questions about the P.E. classroom on your upcoming exam.
1. Organizing Sports & Recreational Activities
In this lesson we discuss how to organize sports and recreational activities. We review older and newer methods for achieving success in these goals. We also review rules, etiquette, equipment, and safety practices.
2. Competent Performance in Sports & Activities
In this lesson we review the mental and physical aspects of competence performance in sports, as well as team building and training in team sports and activities.
3. Promoting Life Skills With Activities, Sports & Games
In this lesson, we discuss how to promote life skills using various activities, including sports and games. We review positive effects of these activities as well as eight life skills that are promoted by them.
4. Physical, Social and Emotional Benefits of Participating in Sports
Participation in sports has a positive impact on youth. This lesson will examine some of the physical, social, and emotional benefits that are gained through athletics.
5. Safety Rules & Procedures for P.E. Classrooms
Every physical education teacher needs to know how to set up relevant safety rules and classroom procedures. Read this lesson to learn how to create these precautions for your P.E. class.
6. Developing Sport & Game Skills in an Elementary Program
In this lesson, we discuss ways to develop both game and sports skills in an elementary school program, including advice on equipment and safety practices.
7. Developing Racquet Sport Skills
In this lesson we review skills, techniques, equipment, activities, and safety practices for developing racquet sport skills. Racquet sports include six major games, which are badminton, pickleball, racquetball, squash, table tennis, and tennis.
8. Basketball Skills, Activities & Safety
Who hasn't been impressed by basketball greats like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? In this lesson, we'll define the different offensive and defensive basketball skills and highlight activities to improve them, as well as review safety practices. We'll also delve into the mental side of the sport.
9. How to Develop Football Skills
In this lesson we encompass the various methods for developing football skills. We also discuss the ever-changing role of injury and concussion prevention that is occurring along with an overview of crucial nutrition.
10. Basic Baseball Rules
Baseball is a very popular sport, but it can seem very complicated upon first look. Read this lesson to discover some of the basic rules for the great sport of baseball.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Motor Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Human Movement
- MTLE Physical Education: Softball Rules & Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Soccer History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Swimming Skills & Benefits
- MTLE Physical Education: Tennis Rules & Techniques
- MTLE Physical Education: History and Rules of Track & Field
- MTLE Physical Education: Volleyball History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Leisure & Cooperative Activities
- MTLE Physical Education: Rhythmic Movement, Dance & Gymnastics
- MTLE Physical Education: Fitness & Positive Behavior
- MTLE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MTLE Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MTLE Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTLE Physical Education: Basic Nutritional Principles
- MTLE Physical Education: Lifelong Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Program Goals & Administration
- MTLE Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTLE Physical Education: Assessments
- MTLE Physical Education: Subject-Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Injury Prevention & Safety
- MTLE Physical Education Flashcards