About This Chapter
MTLE Physical Education: Individual & Team Activities - Chapter Summary
Discover how skills are developed for various individual and team sports and games by reading the lessons in this chapter. They prepare you to answer questions on the MTLE Physical Education exam related to:
- Creative movement and dance
- Volleyball, gymnastics and soccer
- Lifelong sports skills
- Swimming and track & field
- Football, basketball, floor hockey and softball
- Adventure activities and cooperative games
- Outdoor activities
Develop a deeper understanding of the different types of skills used in individual and team activities in physical education by working through this chapter. Doing so won't take long because our lessons are short, helping you quickly learn or review material. You also have access to self-assessment quizzes, which let you gauge your understanding before the real exam.
1. Developing Sport & Game Skills in an Elementary Program
In this lesson, we discuss ways to develop both game and sports skills in an elementary school program, including advice on equipment and safety practices.
2. Developing Creative Movement & Dance Skills
In this lesson we discuss ways to develop creative movements and dance skills. We also elaborate on the nascent field of dance therapy and some systems used to improve these abilities. We also touch on safety practices to follow.
3. How to Develop Gymnastics Skills
In this lesson we examine different ways to develop both women's and men's gymnastic skills. We will also discuss the crucial role diet and nutrition play in attaining these said skills.
4. Creative Movement as a Form of Expression
People have expressed themselves through dance and creative movement for as long as humans have been around. In this lesson, we'll learn a little bit more about how dance helps people express themselves without words.
5. Track & Field Skills & Techniques
This lesson will review many of the techniques used in the track and field world to improve athletic performance. The techniques include ways to enhance breathing, sleep, and mental toughness. The lesson also includes physical training methods.
6. Swimming Skills & Biomechanics
Whether you are new to swimming or have a lot of experience, there is always something else to learn about the sport. This lesson contains progressions for beginning through intermediate skill levels for both sports.
7. Basketball Skills, Activities & Safety
Who hasn't been impressed by basketball greats like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? In this lesson, we'll define the different offensive and defensive basketball skills and highlight activities to improve them, as well as review safety practices. We'll also delve into the mental side of the sport.
8. Volleyball Skills
You may have played volleyball at the last church social, but if you want to be more competitive at the sport you will need to learn and practice the five basic volleyball shots. This lesson describes the shots you will need to know to be the king of the court.
9. Basic Soccer Skills
Successful soccer players must master a number of basic skills, including dribbling, kicking, and trapping the ball. In this lesson, you'll learn how to effectively control and move a soccer ball around the field, as well as the techniques involved in defending the goal.
10. How to Develop Football Skills
In this lesson we encompass the various methods for developing football skills. We also discuss the ever-changing role of injury and concussion prevention that is occurring along with an overview of crucial nutrition.
11. Basic Softball Skills
First time playing softball? Don't really know what you've gotten yourself into? No worries! This lesson describes the basic skills you will need to play the game.
12. Fundamental Floor Hockey Skills
To the everyday viewer, floor hockey is entertaining and full of action. However, there's a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to participating in this game. Many key fundamental skills come into play to safely and successfully compete.
13. Cooperative Games & Group Challenges
Learn how to set up cooperative games and activities in a way that sets you and your group up for success. This lesson covers rules, safety practices, equipment, and more.
14. Adventure Activities: Planning & Safety
In this lesson, you will review how to plan an adventure activity and prepare for safety. You will learn about the necessary equipment to take along on your adventure. We will also discuss the issues of permits and insurance, and you will learn about crucial first aid tips.
15. How to Expose Students to Outdoor Activities
Outdoor recreation and activities offer a unique learning environment for students to learn about themselves and to form stronger social ties with their classmates. This lesson goes over methods to introduce children to these activities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Physical Education: Motor Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Human Movement
- MTLE Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Fitness & Positive Behavior
- MTLE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MTLE Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MTLE Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTLE Physical Education: Lifelong Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Program Goals & Administration
- MTLE Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTLE Physical Education: Assessments
- MTLE Physical Education: Injury Prevention & Safety
- MTLE Physical Education Flashcards