About This Chapter
MTLE Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness - Chapter Summary
Individuals preparing to take the MTLE Physical Education exam should be familiar with the personal wellness and fitness topics covered in these lessons. Lessons cover health, fitness, performance, weight management, and the difference between health related fitness and skill related fitness. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be prepared to do the following:
- Explain emotional and social factors that impact physical education
- Recognize how personal background influences physical activity
- Discuss changes in physical activity during life
- Describe factors that influence physical performance and fitness
- Compare different training and conditioning principles
- Identify how body systems are affected by physical activity and inactivity
- Analyze lifestyle and nutritional choices
- Explain how to maintain wellness throughout life
Each facet of wellness is covered by a carefully crafted text or video lesson. Complete the lesson quizzes to confirm your understanding of the content you review. You can use the video tags to quickly locate any video segments you'd like to see again.
1. Social & Emotional Factors Influencing Physical Education
In this lesson, we will define and discuss some of the social and emotional influences on student learning in the physical education setting and look at examples of how these influences can positively or negatively impact success.
2. The Influence of Personal Background on Physical Activity
What sports do you love to play? Have you ever considered that your personal background may actually influence why you play one sport versus another? This lesson will describe how background factors influence your choices for physical activity.
3. How Physical Activity Changes Throughout Life
The amount and type of physical activity that people engage in changes throughout life. In this lesson, we'll explore how physical activity changes throughout the different life stages, from infancy to late adulthood.
4. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
5. Health-Related & Skill-Related Physical Fitness
In this lesson, you will learn about the difference between health-related physical fitness and skill-related physical fitness. You will also gain a clear understanding of the characteristics that are health-related or skill-related.
6. Factors Affecting Physical Fitness & Performance
What kinds of things impact physical fitness and performance, and how can teachers make the most of them? This lesson outlines factors impacting fitness and provides strategies to use in classrooms.
7. Using Conditioning & Training Principles
In this lesson, we will discuss conditioning and training principles. We review some of the principles associated with these two concepts. We present training plans for running and Crossfit. Importantly, we also discuss nutrition, rest, and recovery.
8. Effects of Physical Activity on Body Systems
In this lesson we'll discuss the effects, both short-term and long-term, of physical activity on each of the major systems of the human body. In addition, we'll discuss both the positive and negative effects of exercise.
9. How Inactivity Affects Human Body Systems
Physical inactivity affects you inside and out from head to toe. This lesson discusses how a lack of exercise can lead to a variety of physical disorders in many of your body systems.
10. Factors to Consider in Fitness & Weight Management
In this lesson, we examine several factors to consider in fitness and weight management. We cover the cost, accessibility, time necessary, and resources needed to reach these goals. We also cover the effect genetics has on these issues.
11. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
12. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
13. Maintaining Wellness Throughout the Lifespan
What does it mean to be well? How can we maintain wellness throughout the lifespan? This lesson will discuss wellness and will introduce different ways to maintain it throughout the lifespan.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Motor Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Human Movement
- MTLE Physical Education: Individual, Dual & Team Sports
- MTLE Physical Education: Softball Rules & Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Soccer History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Swimming Skills & Benefits
- MTLE Physical Education: Tennis Rules & Techniques
- MTLE Physical Education: History and Rules of Track & Field
- MTLE Physical Education: Volleyball History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Leisure & Cooperative Activities
- MTLE Physical Education: Rhythmic Movement, Dance & Gymnastics
- MTLE Physical Education: Fitness & Positive Behavior
- MTLE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MTLE Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MTLE Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTLE Physical Education: Basic Nutritional Principles
- MTLE Physical Education: Lifelong Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Program Goals & Administration
- MTLE Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTLE Physical Education: Assessments
- MTLE Physical Education: Subject-Area Reading Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Injury Prevention & Safety
- MTLE Physical Education Flashcards