About This Chapter
MTLE Physical Education: Subject Area Reading Skills - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help you prepare for MTLE Physical Education exam questions regarding integrating reading skills into a physical education curriculum. You'll review the connections between physical development and reading growth as well as how to support these bonds with reading materials and strategies. After completing the short video lessons, you should be able to do the following:
- Relate physical development to reading skills
- Utilize practices to build literacy across content areas
- Apply text structure understanding to various subject areas
- Share strategies for teaching content area vocabulary and reading comprehension
- Select content area texts
Professional instructors share their knowledge of reading comprehension and physical education as they relate to questions you could face on the MTLE Physical Education test. Be sure to use the chapter quizzes to test your knowledge before the exam.
1. How the Physical Development of Students Relates to Reading
Believe it or not, physical development can influence reading skill development in children. In this lesson, we will explore specific examples of how physical development in students relates to learning how to read and other academic developments.
2. Content Area Literacy: Definition & Instructional Practices
Learning to read in different content areas is a skill that serves students well. Content-area literacy does not necessarily come naturally, so this lesson gives you some ideas for helping students read well across the content areas.
3. Strategies for Teaching Reading & Writing Across Content Areas
Students are required to read and write in most subject areas. How can teachers support this? This lesson discusses strategies that promote writing and reading comprehension in all content areas.
4. Using Text Structure & Style to Comprehend Other Subjects
If you need strategies to help make comprehending difficult subjects easier, this lesson is for you! We will learn how to analyze different text structures and styles to quickly understand the texts you're reading.
5. Instructional Approaches to Content Area Vocabulary
In this lesson, we'll learn about some ways to incorporate vocabulary instruction into content-area classes to help support student learning in a variety of academic disciplines.
6. How to Teach Reading Comprehension
Teaching reading comprehension requires instilling in the learner the use of several strategies and skills. This lesson will focus on cognitive skills and notation strategies that will enhance reading comprehension.
7. Selecting Texts for Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we'll go over strategies for selecting texts for your students. We'll cover pre-reading strategies, as well as during-reading strategies and post-reading activities that can help reinforce reading comprehension.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Motor Development
- MTLE Physical Education: Human Movement
- MTLE Physical Education: Individual, Dual & Team Sports
- MTLE Physical Education: Softball Rules & Skills
- MTLE Physical Education: Soccer History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Swimming Skills & Benefits
- MTLE Physical Education: Tennis Rules & Techniques
- MTLE Physical Education: History and Rules of Track & Field
- MTLE Physical Education: Volleyball History & Rules
- MTLE Physical Education: Leisure & Cooperative Activities
- MTLE Physical Education: Rhythmic Movement, Dance & Gymnastics
- MTLE Physical Education: Fitness & Positive Behavior
- MTLE Physical Education: Anatomy & Physiology
- MTLE Physical Education: Personal Wellness & Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Physical Activity
- MTLE Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTLE Physical Education: Basic Nutritional Principles
- MTLE Physical Education: Lifelong Fitness
- MTLE Physical Education: Program Goals & Administration
- MTLE Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTLE Physical Education: Assessments
- MTLE Physical Education: Injury Prevention & Safety
- MTLE Physical Education Flashcards