About This Chapter
MTLE Physics: Waves - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to study information about waves. Our experienced instructors walk you through each lesson so you are prepared to take the MTLE Physics exam. These lessons cover the following topics:
- Types of waves
- Wave propagation and parameters
- Wave displacement
- Frequency of waves
- Transverse and longitudinal waves
- Sound waves
- Standing and complex waves
- The Doppler effect
In this chapter, you will find video and text lessons on each of the topics that have been listed above. Within the text lessons you will find major vocabulary words in bold. This is done to place emphasis on the important topics and keywords that you should be familiar with in order to successfully pass the MTLE Physics exam. After reviewing the lesson, take the self-assessing quiz to make sure you are retaining what you are studying.
1. Waves: Types & Definition
Examine the different types of waves and what parts of our daily lives are affected by waves, from the ocean to the microwave to sound. Explore how waves are measured and classified.
2. Wave Propagation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what wave propagation is, and describe the factors that affect the speed of wave propagation. A short quiz will follow.
3. Wave Parameters: Wavelength, Amplitude, Period, Frequency & Speed
How do we measure and describe waves? How do waves differ based upon their shapes? This lesson will guide you through the five wave parameters - period, frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and speed - that we use to characterize waves.
4. Wave Displacement: Definition & Formula
As a transverse wave travels, it affects the material it is traveling through. We can learn more about how it affects that material by exploring wave displacement and learning how to calculate it.
5. What Is Frequency? - Definition, Spectrum & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn what frequency is, and how that is observed by our senses both in terms of light (the electromagnetic spectrum) and sound. A short quiz will follow.
6. Transverse & Longitudinal Waves: Definition & Examples
What comes to mind when you think of a wave? Chances are your mental image takes the form of a transverse wave. But, longitudinal waves are just as important, and understanding the difference is vital to learning about waves. In this lesson, explore both types of waves and the unique characteristics of each.
7. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
8. The Superposition Principle & Standing Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the superposition principle is, and how this leads to the formation of standing waves. A short quiz will follow.
9. Standing Wave: Definition, Equation & Theory
In this lesson, you'll learn about the kind of waves that are responsible for our experience of musical notes. These waves are called standing waves. Learn what makes them unique and how they represent the notes we hear.
10. Complex Waves as Superpositions of Sinusoidal Waves
When sinusoidal waves come into contact with each other, they create a resultant wave. In this lesson, we'll learn how the properties of the interacting sinusoidal waves can create complex waves.
11. The Doppler Effect: Definition, Examples & Applications
What is the Doppler effect? How does it affect our perceptions of sound and light? In this lesson, learn how traveling wave sources can change the way we observe sound and light waves. Explore the applications of the Doppler effect on shock waves, sonic booms, and the movements of distant galaxies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Physics: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Physics: Scientific Inquiry
- MTLE Physics: Safety in Scientific Research
- MTLE Physics: Mathematical Relationships
- MTLE Physics: Systems of Linear Equations
- MTLE Physics: Quadratic Equations
- MTLE Physics: Differential Equations
- MTLE Physics: Integrals
- MTLE Physics: Kinematics
- MTLE Physics: Graphing Kinematics
- MTLE Physics: Force
- MTLE Physics: Laws of Motion
- MTLE Physics: Work & Energy
- MTLE Physics: Linear Momentum
- MTLE Physics: Rotational Motion
- MTLE Physics: Simple Harmonic Motion
- MTLE Physics: Electric Force & Charge
- MTLE Physics: Circuits
- MTLE Physics: Magnetism
- MTLE Physics: Light
- MTLE Physics: Optics
- MTLE Physics: Thermodynamics
- MTLE Physics: Relativity
- MTLE Physics: Nuclear Physics
- MTLE Physics: Quantum Mechanics
- MTLE Physics Flashcards