About This Chapter
MTLE Reading Teacher: Language & Reading Development - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers insights that can help you improve your ability to succeed on the MTLE Reading Teacher assessment. Take time to explore fun video lessons. In no time, you will have the knowledge to:
- Describe the progression of reading development across several grades
- Define and share theories and characteristics of emergent literacy
- Explain linguistics and language development in children
- Identify and describe the language development stages
- Share the nativist perspective on language development
- Discuss the effects of culture and one's environment on language development
- Provide details about cognitive academic language proficiency
Expert instructors offer the definitions, theories and explanations needed to fully understand language and reading development. Review the lessons as often as you'd like and in any sequence that suits your current knowledge of the subject area. Before, during or after exploring the lessons, take self-assessment quizzes to gauge your comprehension. A chapter exam is also available to reinforce concepts explored in the lessons.
1. Reading Development Across Grades
One of the most important transformations that happens in the early grades is the movement from non-readers to readers. In this lesson, we track the development of reading skills throughout the early elementary years.
2. Emergent Literacy: Definition, Theories & Characteristics
Literacy actually begins at a much earlier age than most expect. This video lesson describes a child's beginnings in the world of reading, which is called emergent literacy.
3. Linguistics: Language Development in Children
How does a baby's babble turn into intelligible speech? Are there underlining innate traits that drive language development in children? Or is it the social interaction with others that encourages language development? This lesson will explore these questions and discuss how aspects of language change over time.
4. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
5. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
6. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
7. Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency
In this lesson, you'll learn about cognitive academic language proficiency, how it affects student learning, and what can be done to improve student outcomes. An example is provided and a short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Reading Teacher: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Learning Theories
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Planning Reading Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Resources for Reading Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Principles of Reading Assessment
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Reading Assessment Techniques
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Promoting a Literate Environment
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Promoting Literacy Through Technology
- MTLE Reading Teacher: The Reading Professional
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Professional Organizations
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Emergent Literacy
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Spelling & Writing
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Phonics
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Developing Student Fluency
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Developing Student Vocabulary
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Language Arts Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Narrative Texts
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Expository Texts
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Oral Communication
- MTLE Reading Teacher Flashcards